ju52junk

Does anyone remember building these screwdriver kits?  No glue just screw together, poseable flaps and absolutely no bottom to the top and bottom wing.  I liked these kits as a kid because they were easy to build and very large.  Notice the price for the Fokker, a whopping &3.50 I believe in 1968 dollars, today it sells for $200 - $700.  I cannot remember how much the B25 originally went for.  But I see the B25 can run from$200-$500.  I think I also had the SE-5.  I also think they were supposed to be flying kits.

Edited by ju52junk

I've seen the B-25 in the vendors area on occasion, and it's usually not cheap. I've also seen a couple built up over the years, and they were quite eye catching and popular since they were also so rare. As for being "flyable"....not sure, but I also seem to remember Cox having several plastic U-line controlled flying models somewhere in the 1/32-1/24 size range, and perhaps these were molded with adapting a Cox motor to them.

As for the $3.50.....in that day it would have taken me several months to save up my .25wk allowance to get one! :smiley2:

GIL :cool:

Looked all this up in Thomas Graham's "Aurora Models" book and got this:

The D-7 and SE-5 were originally flying models converted to screwdriver kits. They are both 1/19 scale and go for around $100

The B-25 was also a flying model converted to screwdriver assembly, is in 1/32 scale and goes for around $200

There was also a P-51 and P-40 in 1/27 scale, both of which were flying models acquired from Comet models and converted to screwdriver assembly. They go for around $100. 

• Like 1