PACTRA

ju52junk

Guess I am feeling nostalgic tonight.  How many remember Pactra authentic international colors.  When these paints came out in the early 70s, I thought the colors were greater than sliced bread.

Edited by ju52junk

Yep! Loved it! Here's a pic of my bench @1980, and there's more than a few bottles of it there....as well as some other Pactra paints. Note the Liquiplate and Floquil paints too....which are also now long gone.

IMG_0003.jpg

GIL :cool:

7 minutes ago, ghodges said:

Yep! Loved it! Here's a pic of my bench @1980, and there's more than a few bottles of it there....as well as some other Pactra paints. Note the Liquiplate and Floquil paints too....which are also now long gone.

IMG_0003.jpg

Yes and Aeromaster enamels.

I have some small bottles of Pactra paint that are basically relabeled Testors paint. I agree, when I was younger, the military colors were really flat compared to Testors that had more of a satin finish. I loved Pactra paints.

Edited by RGronovius

13 hours ago, ghodges said:

IMG_0003.jpg

I also spy a can of Duratite putty and a bottle of Duratite solvent, a bottle of Satellite City Hot Stuff...and is that a Lindberg F4D Skyray I see underway?

I got into the Pactra Authentic International Colors late in the game (1981 or so), and by the time I developed a good feel for it--and an appreciation for just how good it was--it was gone.  I switched to Polly-S not too long after that...

Ralph

A few other items of note....the bottles of Micro Gloss and Micro Flat (already yellow in the bottles!); Future, which was at that time VERY new to modeling; Weld-On #4 cement (still using it, though I buy it by the pint now!); a pack (with the rubber band around it) of the original Mattel plastic sheets for their vacuform machine; and (non modeling related) the piston from the blown engine of my 1970 Mustang! :angry:

Yep, that is a Lindberg 1/48 Skyray that I was "tricking out"; building it as best I could to production standards. Here's a pic of it as I originally built it off of the bench pic above....

Lindberg_Skyray_NEW.jpg

And then a few years later a resin "update" set with new intakes and engine exhaust was put out and I went back and incorporated them into a rebuild, and here's a pic of it after the rebuild...

IMG_20171227_0001.jpg

Today, if you want a 1/48 F4D Skyray you just build the superb Tamiya kit (been der-done dat too)! :biggrin:

I just found six different box sets of the Pactra International colors in a storage bin, and I have a Pactra small bottle paint rack that is still filled about 60% with unopened Pactra color bottles.  Unfortunately, one of my favorite flat metallic colors that I could apply with a brush without streaks--Flat Metallic Gray--is gone.  Testors metallics just do not apply well with a brush to any spot larger than 1/16th inch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ewahl said:

I just found six different box sets of the Pactra International colors in a storage bin, and I have a Pactra small bottle paint rack that is still filled about 60% with unopened Pactra color bottles.  Unfortunately, one of my favorite flat metallic colors that I could apply with a brush without streaks--Flat Metallic Gray--is gone.  Testors metallics just do not apply well with a brush to any spot larger than 1/16th inch.

Have you had a chance to use those Pactra paints?  Just wondering if the paints are still good after all these years?

Yes, some of those bottle paints are still good.  I mix them with a battery-powered paint stirrer until the separated pigments and carrier fluids get well blended.  I add paint thinner to them to get them usable in an airbrush.

No, some of the bottles have turned solid.  These I throw out when I come across one.  I've noticed some colors all stay good and others all go bad.

Heck, they are 15 cent bottles, so no great financial loss if they must be pitched out.

Ed

On 4/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, ewahl said:

Yes, some of those bottle paints are still good.  I mix them with a battery-powered paint stirrer until the separated pigments and carrier fluids get well blended.  I add paint thinner to them to get them usable in an airbrush.

No, some of the bottles have turned solid.  These I throw out when I come across one.  I've noticed some colors all stay good and others all go bad.

Heck, they are 15 cent bottles, so no great financial loss if they must be pitched out.

Ed

The good old days of 15 cents /bottle.

Pactra Namel! I still have some unopened custom colour metallics that I bought way back when. Hopefully still usable. We will see!