Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After 50 years of building models, I have inhaled all kinds of paint fumes(from Pactra to Hataka).  I know inhaleing all these fumes is not healthy, akin to sniffing glue.  I am just wondering whar people think is the most "pleasent" smelling paint fume?  Enamels seem to be the stinkest, that is why I just use acrylics now.  Some paints if I get a whiff of I can tell what lthe brand of paint is.  I can always tell if Polly-S acrylic, Tamiya acryilic, Humbrol enamall or Vallejo acryiic is being used.  The paint fume that I most pleasent to smell is Vallejo, smells like there is perfume in the paint.  So, what paint do you find the "stinkest" smelling to the most "pleasent" smelling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I've never thought of them as smelling pleasant; just stronger or not so strong. And, I've always used enamels and lacquers which have the heaviest fumes.

That said, I do have a "fondness" for the smell of paints, thinners, and glues; but I think it's simply because I associate them with the fun of model building; not with any direct olfactory stimulation.

To paraphrase Robert Duvall in "Apocalypse Now"...."I love the smell of Dull Coat in the morning"....:smiley2:

 

GIL :cool:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you Gil.  I really am not fond of any paint fumes, but if I had to choose one it is the alcohol based ones. My family is full of people who work in hospitals and I associate the smell of alcohol with visiting them in their work place.  Unfortunately, over the years I have "sniffed" a fair amount of paint fumes and have kind of become "nose blind" to them.  I know because when I am sitting in my shop, oblivious to the smell and my wife comes out and comments on the strong odor of paint. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I'm with you Gil.  I really am not fond of any paint fumes, but if I had to choose one it is the alcohol based ones. My family is full of people who work in hospitals and I associate the smell of alcohol with visiting them in their work place.  Unfortunately, over the years I have "sniffed" a fair amount of paint fumes and have kind of become "nose blind" to them.  I know because when I am sitting in my shop, oblivious to the smell and my wife comes out and comments on the strong odor of paint. 

Hi Pete,

I tried making models upstairs.  But my wife has put a stop to that.  I am stinking up the house and I got banished to the basement.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why "Gil World" is in the garage! :dry:

 

GIL :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ghodges said:

That's why "Gil World" is in the garage! :dry:

 

GIL :cool:

 

6 hours ago, ju52junk said:

Hi Pete,

I tried making models upstairs.  But my wife has put a stop to that.  I am stinking up the house and I got banished to the basement.

 

Yup, me too Gil.  MBP(Models By Pete) is in my own single car garage.  

1 shop.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm like you two Gil and Pete. Only I have one room of a two-bedroom condo that my wife orders me to keep shut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made my entire attic into the modeling nest -

018.JPG.b20922186777eee39494d9b407faaab0.JPG

Using acrylics exclusively, I've never been "yelled at" for any smell.

But to get to the question, the prolly most pleasant smelling paint I use is the Stynylrez primers, which IMHO has a fruity smell. 🙂 🤗

 

Edited by Roktman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roktman said:

I made my entire attic into the modeling nest -

018.JPG.b20922186777eee39494d9b407faaab0.JPG

Using acrylics exclusively, I've never been "yelled at" for any smell.

But to get to the question, the prolly most pleasant smelling paint I use is the Stynylrez primers, which IMHO has a fruity smell. 🙂 🤗

 

I like your work area.  Mine looks like a hurricane has been through the area.  I noticed your clear acrylic paint racks.  Just wondering if they are nail polish display racks or the paint display rack Florey models have for sale?  The display racks look like the ones that I have (nail polish displays).  Also wondering how you store your paint sets(like Vallejo)?  You may have limited space, but I use peg boards.  Never used the Stynylrez primer before, are they good primers to use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ju52junk said:

I like your work area.  Mine looks like a hurricane has been through the area.  I noticed your clear acrylic paint racks.  Just wondering if they are nail polish display racks or the paint display rack Florey models have for sale?  The display racks look like the ones that I have (nail polish displays).  Also wondering how you store your paint sets(like Vallejo)?  You may have limited space, but I use peg boards.  Never used the Stynylrez primer before, are they good primers to use?

Hi,

Thanks. I'm sort of a lazy neat freak. I can let the mess build up, but at some point I can't take it, and go Felix Unger on the area. 😁  But if I kept moving the camera to the right, I have my stash, in boxes climbing up the wall.  😉 in a very untidy manner

The paint racks are simple acrylic nail polish racks that I got from eBay. There are 4 of them there.   I keep the paint sets on the rack, I too use Vallejo (mostly). I just group them together. The top half are the Vallejo Model Color bottles arranged by Position Number. What I do  is that the RLM colors get a big red dot on the top. Then the sets, like  the Metallics and the Flesh set all sit together, Then the few bottles of Model Air I have, sit together. On the bottom is my Citadel Colors, and washes (the best), my MIG pigments and then odds and ends like Micro Set/Sol, Decal Film.

Stynylrez primer is awesome. Dries quickly and fairly quickly sandable.  I also use the Vallejo Gloss Black primer for the metallics. Most don't like Vallejo because they can't seem to wait the full day for the Vallejo primer to "set up." Use it before it sets and it can come off rubbery. Wait and it's like regular paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×