Ford F-150 completed

Built this for a friend in the business. It's AMT/ERTL's 1997 Ford F-150 extended cab.

FordF150-interior.jpg

Added the following to interior:

• modified radio & siren controls from AMT Chevy Caprice kit
  • wired microphone
  • PR-24 from Taurus kit
  • CruiserMate modified from clipboard in AMT Caprice kit
IBM54-rhs.jpg

IBM54-frnt.jpg

IBM54-lr.jpg

The chrome was striped off the wheels and bumpers, afterwhich they were painted semi-gloss black. Code 3 MX7000 lightbar and A-post spotlight came from Lindberg Ford Crown Vic kit. IBM and Ohio licence plate are self-made using VitaCal decal paper. "Emergency" and roof number decals are from Chimneyville Hobbies. Interior painted British ocean grey and floor painted grimy black. Lightbar painted using Tamiya clears (green, red and yellow.)

I also think the clipboard is a great touch. Pretty unique subject as well. Commissioned for a friend you say, $$$ ? I intend to build a 69 camaro for a friend (if I ever get to it) It was his 'chick magnet' back in his younger days.

Any way, great job and thanks for sharing.

It's great to see a modern pickup built these days. Most of the kits in the LHS feature pickups that are based on vehicles 70 years and older. That statement goes for cars as well, but 50 years and older (that's 1960). Your paint scheme is simple and effective, and nicely done!

Ed

Nice work - thanks for sharing!

Very convincing results - I'm sure your friend will be pleased.

Nice job. Nice to see something off the beaten path for a change.

Chris

Thank you all for the compliments, they are greatly appreciated.

John, I got the "odd paint scheme" from a pic of a San Diego PD Ford F-250.

Next up on the emergency service vehicle "to do list" is 2004 Chevy Impala (plain car) and a 1995 Chevy Tahoe with Circleville EMS markings.

Greg,

Here's my version of the AMT snap-kit 1995 Chevy Tahoe in U.S. Border Patrol markings. I added expanded wire mesh screens to isolate the rear seat captives, radio gear, and a shotgun. The light bar came from Chimneyville as did the decals. I built this for the son of my administrative assistant, who is on the border in the San Diego area. The model is now on display in their squad room.

Ed

08-04-Wahl.jpg

Ed,

Nice Tahoe! :smiley20: Is that the cage from the Lindberg Crown Vic? Is that a reflection, something else or did you put a red dash light on the passenger side dashboard? What color did you use for the interior, I'd like to use it on a future cruiser- the usual tan/dk blue/med grey sometimes gets old.

My wife's first model was the Revell Snap-tite Ford Expedition with Border Patrol markings.

I bought Tamiya's Jeep Wrangler hardtop just because I had another set of BP decals.

05.douglas.ap.jpg

Hi, Greg,

Here are some shots of the interior tub. The screen mesh is a craft product that I bought at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels (can't remember). It cuts easily with a scissors. I made paper patterns first to be sure the wire frame would not interfere with the car body, then bent copper wire and cut the mesh to match. The frames are mounted in holes I drilled in the bottom of the interior tub and super glued in place.

The red spot you saw probably was a reflection off the shotgun's pump handle. I used the radio out of a Lindberg police car. I did the interior in shades of black. With the exception of the front windshield, I applied real window tinting film (I asked for some scraps from a business that installs the window tinting on real cars) to the side and rear glass windows. I skipped scratchbuilding the seat belts and buckle hardware.

Ed

Tahoe9.jpg

Tahoe10.jpg

Tahoe11.jpg

Ed,

Thanks for the info on your interior, it looks good. I'll have to give grimy black a try for my next interior color- I usually use it to replicate a vehicle rubber floor matting.

Greg

Built this for a friend in the business. It's AMT/ERTL's 1997 Ford F-150 extended cab.

FordF150-interior.jpg

Added the following to interior:

• modified radio & siren controls from AMT Chevy Caprice kit
  • wired microphone
  • PR-24 from Taurus kit
  • CruiserMate modified from clipboard in AMT Caprice kit
IBM54-rhs.jpg

IBM54-frnt.jpg

IBM54-lr.jpg

The chrome was striped off the wheels and bumpers, afterwhich they were painted semi-gloss black. Code 3 MX7000 lightbar and A-post spotlight came from Lindberg Ford Crown Vic kit. IBM and Ohio licence plate are self-made using VitaCal decal paper. "Emergency" and roof number decals are from Chimneyville Hobbies. Interior painted British ocean grey and floor painted grimy black. Lightbar painted using Tamiya clears (green, red and yellow.)

How in the world did you come up with the green lightbars? I have been looking around for different colored lights, but haven't been very successful. Nice job on the modern style truck. I need to try one of those some day.

Dave,

If the light bar glass is molded with clear plastic, you can use the Tamiya transparent paints or colored glass stains used for sun catchers to coat the inside of the piece. With transparent paints and glass stains, you can produce any color you may want. The Chimneyville light bar I used on the Tahoe was "clear" and allowed me to use red, amber, and blue per a photo of an actual vehicle I was working from.

Ed

How in the world did you come up with the green lightbars? I have been looking around for different colored lights, but haven't been very successful. Nice job on the modern style truck. I need to try one of those some day.

Dave, thanks for the compliment. The lightbar came molded in clear plastic in the Lindberg Ford Crown Victoria kit and, as Ed stated, I painted the exterior green using Tamiya's clear paints.

Greg