Filler

ju52junk

This may have been mentioned in another post.  I saw on a Florey Model YouTube video how to make a great filler.  Get an empty Tamiya paint mixing jar, add to the jar some black colored Evergreen styrene cut up into small chunks, then add some Tamiya quick drying thin cement(the stuff with green cap).  Let the styrene dissolve for a day, so you have a nice gooey texture.  Then you can put the gooey mixture on a mating surface and put the two parts together.  The glue in the mixture will bond the parts together and the gooey styrene will act as a filler.  Wait about 24 hours for the mixture to set before sanding and any small gaps will be filled.  On larger gaps like wing joints apply the mixture with a toothpick,  allow to cure then sand.  I have had good results.   I like the styrene/glue mixture better than putty.  Just make sure it is fully cured before sanding.

Edited by ju52junk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that as well. But wasn't there something in the vid about using actual sprue as opposed to bits of say, sheet styrene? I thought I remember hearing that, but don't remember what he said as a why... Too be honest I never tried it.

6 hours ago, Roktman said:

I saw that as well. But wasn't there something in the vid about using actual sprue as opposed to bits of say, sheet styrene? I thought I remember hearing that, but don't remember what he said as a why... Too be honest I never tried it.

I cannot remember what was said in the video.  I would imagine either sprue or sheet styrene will give you the same results.  I do remember in the video white styrene was used with a little black acryilic paint added to the goo.  I use black colored styrene so the black acryilic paint is not needed.