Thank-you.

ju52junk

I really would  like to thank everyone for the kind comments made on my aircraft builds.  Also, thanks to all the good suggestions to the questions I ask.  Living in Vermont,  it is a breath of fresh air to talk to fellow modellers who have the same passion about building models that I do.  No longer do I have to hear models called toys and I am too old to be making models.  I have made models all my life,  except the 4 years I was in the Navy(worked on A7-Es).

Jim, it's not just Vermont.  I've built models professionally since 1967 and also combined that with being a professional how-to writer, all of it as a freelancer.  I've dealt with the same problems you've experienced most of my professional life.  It has nothing to do with where you live but more accurately the perception that people in general have.  I could tell you stories that'd fill a book, but what it boils down to is the fact that most people simply cannot figure out how to separate toys and scale models or understand that professonal modelbuilding is a legitimate career.  I'll leave you with one example of what I'm talking about:  A preacher at a church I attended knew what I did for a living, yet one day he looked and me and asked "When are you going to get a real job?".  All you can do is let it roll off you back, if possible.

You're welcome Jim. While I don't experience that much, I do know how you feel. I'm so blessed to be a part of two model groups, as well as another general hobby group that helps insulate me from people like those you mention. When I do experience them, I try to let them know how much healthier the human brain is from all this model building. I'd heard on a radio program once where a study was done on model builders. It stated that kids who built models did far better in school than their non-model building compatriots; given the mental exercise they gave their brains. It made it easier for kids to problem solve and helped them to think more thoroughly. Also, in later life; any model builder who is susceptible to Alzheimer's will have a 50% less chance of contracting it over a non-model building individual; and if they do, it develops 40% slower than in a person who never built models.

I found that to be a most interesting study and also explains how someone like me who; with three learning disabilities who shouldn't be able to function in life, has successfully run profitable businesses and solved many, many issues that others thought were unsolvable.

So, enjoy your time among us here; and if you ever have the opportunity to go to an IPMS Nationals, I highly recommend it. Interaction with fellow models there is like your interaction with us on these Forums.... on steroids!

• Like 1