Hello from Ventura County

MichealX

I joined IPMS last year after resuming my on and off romance building models, when as a "mature" man I wanted to hone my skills over and above the past.

I started building models after my father, career USN, introduced me to the hobby with some USN jets. The first plane I built at age 6 was a Revell Douglas A-3D Skywarrior. I can still remember it after all these years - I loved the box illustration and had it on my different bedroom walls for years. I continued building through college years but then life moved on and building models did not. Only one plane survives on my shelf from those days; a Tamiya (I think) Brewster Buffalo B-339, that I inaccurately built as a Model 239 in Finnish service.

Thirty years later I start again. The kids are older and don’t need me, my wife is fine with a harmless hobby, (I don’t think she realizes how much I have spent on tools, supplies, after market stuff and a small stash. I am not going to tell her!), and work is not so all encompassing that I am paralyzed. I have space available in my home to build a man cave, and don’t look back. Since 2006 I have built twelve 1/48 planes, mostly Axis, and ten 1/48 armor kits, mostly Axis soft side.

And wow am I happy doing this! And I have learned an awful lot from IPMS. Thanks one million!

Hi Michael,

It's nice to meet another modeler from SoCal. I used to go shoot rockets in the low hills of Ventura as a kid before it all got turned into condos and shopping malls. Glad this is still fun for you too. Hope to swap stories again soon.

Hey Mike! Glad to meet you and glad to know of another modeler in Southern California. Hopefully I'll meet you at an Orangecon or other contest. See you around the Forums....

Hello Michael!

Thanks for the info - welcome to IPMS & the forums!