Vermont Aiir Natiional Guard

ju52junk

I live in the state of Vermont.  I am starting to build every type of plane the VTANG flew from 1946 to the present.  The planes flown would be P-47N, P-51H, F-86D,F-89C,F-94A,T-33,F-102B,B-57B,F-4C, F-16C and in 2019 the F-35.  I have rounded up 1\48 scale kits of each along with  some VTANG decals. Does anyone know where I can  get VTANG decals for the F-89,F-94,B-57 and F-4C?  And by the way the B-57B was not used as a bomber but for electronic warfare.

No information to share with you, but I am also from Vermont (Springfield) and will be following it with interest. I have virtually no idea about VTANG stuff, but I did serve in the VTARNG 104th Engineers while in college.

I haven't any information either about where to find the decals you're looking for. I will be following this as you get them built.

I do believe there is a decal maker that does custom decals; his name escapes me right now. He also might be a bit expensive, but may give you a volume discount for a number of subjects. Hopefully someone more informed will be able to fill you in more.

6 hours ago, RGronovius said:

No information to share with you, but I am also from Vermont (Springfield) and will be following it with interest. I have virtually no idea about VTANG stuff, but I did serve in the VTARNG 104th Engineers while in college.

There are a couple of web sites that give the history of VTANG and you find pictures of some of the aicraft they flew. Some may disagree but VTANG is one of the best airguard units in the US(why they are getting the new F-35, usually the planes were hand me downs from the Air Force).  From a Navy vet, thank you for service.

4 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

I haven't any information either about where to find the decals you're looking for. I will be following this as you get them built.

I do believe there is a decal maker that does custom decals; his name escapes me right now. He also might be a bit expensive, but may give you a volume discount for a number of subjects. Hopefully someone more informed will be able to fill you in more.

You are correct about the decal maker(I cannot remember the name either, must be having a senior moment).  This is where I got the VTANG (the green mountain boys )for the F-102.

Draw Decals and XtraDecal (Hannants) both make decals for Green Mountain F-102 

TwoBobs and Speed Hunter make decals for their F-16s

Try googling 'Green Mountain Boys aircraft decals'

It is a shame that you are doing this in 48th scale, as all of those planes are available in 72nd scale and VTANG markings are available for most, if not all of them.  (I love ANG aircraft.)

• Like 1

As with most ANG units, finding decals for everything is usually a treasure hunt.  In a lot of cases, you'll have to cobble together what you need from insignia, letter, and number decal sheets.  If you wait for a sheet dedicated to a particular airplane, you may be waiting. 

That being said, Caracal Models has been doing a lot of neat subjects lately.  You may want to check them out...

http://www.caracalmodels.com/

Ralph

5 hours ago, Ralph Nardone said:

As with most ANG units, finding decals for everything is usually a treasure hunt.  In a lot of cases, you'll have to cobble together what you need from insignia, letter, and number decal sheets.  If you wait for a sheet dedicated to a particular airplane, you may be waiting. 

That being said, Caracal Models has been doing a lot of neat subjects lately.  You may want to check them out...

http://www.caracalmodels.com/

Ralph

You are correct, it has been a treasure hunt.  So far I have found 1/48 scale decals for VTANG planes of the F-102 and T-33A.  The rest I have cobbled together.

My time in the Guard was just a stepping stone, a way to get more military training than ROTC offered. I spent the next 25 years on active duty after I was discharged from the Guard.

On 3/25/2018 at 11:37 PM, RGronovius said:

My time in the Guard was just a stepping stone, a way to get more military training than ROTC offered. I spent the next 25 years on active duty after I was discharged from the Guard.

Starting to build the T-33A from Academy with aftermarket decals of a VTANG bird.  The kit is originally a Hobbycraft kit.  Should be a simple build.  One of Hobbycrafts better kit.

Edited by ju52junk

19 hours ago, ju52junk said:

Starting to build the T-33A from Academy with aftermarket decals of a VTANG bird.  The kit is originally a Hobbycraft kit.  Should be a simple build.  One of Hobbycrafts better kit.

Changed my mind about using the old Hobbycraft kit.  I just ordered the Great Wall Hobby T-33 (better detail).

image.png.d0c4fe137449c81ba727999620f65f18.png

The bottom of is the VTANG aircraft.  I remember seeing this plane flying overhead win I was a kid.  Grew up in Winooski in the 60s and early 70s so I was right under the flight path on final approach.

.image.thumb.png.02628b4badc274edf37f6efcd2613e93.png

Edited by ju52junk

• 4 weeks later...

Jim, 

I also grew up in the Burlington area, same time as you. My lasting memory was seeing the F-102s in the sky near the airport.  (They were easy for a kid to ID!)

I almost bought the 1/72 Draw decals the other day-  then got wrapped around the axle on the kit. Do I want a “ Case X” or “Case XX” wing?  ( Meng makes both.)

On 4/17/2018 at 5:56 PM, rcboater said:

Jim, 

I also grew up in the Burlington area, same time as you. My lasting memory was seeing the F-102s in the sky near the airport.  (They were easy for a kid to ID!)

I almost bought the 1/72 Draw decals the other day-  then got wrapped around the axle on the kit. Do I want a “ Case X” or “Case XX” wing?  ( Meng makes both.)

I have Draw decals in 1/48th scale for the F102.  Never used Draw decals before.  Have you used them before? 

You already have been to the Vermont National guard museum(mostly Army national guard stuff on display but some airguard stuff also(here is a picture on the missile on display the F-102 used).

Haven't been there for awhile but there may still be amour and aircraft models on display.

Here is the link to the museum http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/VermontMilitaryMuseum/index.htm

Edited by ju52junk

• 7 months later...

Sorry, late to this party. Born and raised Vermonter(Chittenden County)

I don't think VTANG ever flew F-86Ds(Think that was Maine) I think the list was as follows...

P-47M, P or F-51H, F-89C, F94A, T33, F102A Case XX, EB-57E(yech), F-4C/D. F-16A/B/C/D, and F-35 in less than a year!

The first 4 are easy to do your own decals for, as I believe it was just a VT and the Guard Shield on the tail, and US AIR FORCE near the front on each side. Serials #s can also be found using Google.

T-33 has two decals in 48th as mentioned, and Caracals are really nice for the GWH kit.

Unfortunately nothing for the F-4 or EB-57...yet.

Superscale for 1/32 and 1/48 F-16A can still be found on eBay

Academy's F-16C kit has lo-vis VTANG markings

Afterburner has a Block 25 VTANG jet on their Balad Vipers or War sheet, if you can find it....quite rare now. I put them on the Tamiya 16 and presented it to the Pilot a few years back.

Speedhunter has Block 30 MIG Killer with VTANG markings on it's Guardian Vipers sheet http://www.reidairpublishing.com/product-p/shg48014.htm Jake the owner is having a Black Friday sale and at $10 that sheet is a bargain with 13 different jets on it.

Two Bobs has a small sheet with two F-16Cs on it, one is the 60th Annv scheme, the other the Wing King's jet that is very nice. http://www.twobobs.net/contents/en-us/p227.html but SOLD OUT. They can still be found around as well.

Nothing for the F-35A yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something soon, since it'll be the first Guard unit to get the 35. I talked to the VTANG PAO at an airshow last summer, and she said the scheme will pretty much match the Eglin scheme(Lo vis) with VT instead of EG, and the Guard shield on the tail.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Lumpulus
Added EB-57