help with model cars and dealing with chrome parts

Ronald

Hello there to all car modelers 

thinking about changing my modeling interest to cars but would like to know before I do how do you car guys and gals deal with the chrome 

parts on the sprues, once removed there will be a spot or other areas that will need to be cleaned up and will show bare plastic, my questions 

do you remove/ or strip all the chrome then clean up the imperfections like mold lines etc. and then re-chrome the parts if so which is the best 

re-chrome paint, case in point the revell T-bucket which has a lot of chrome in the kit  how  to go about building that kit the  right way, I would 

appreciate any help in that area, P.S. I know Donn Yost is a very car modeler and tried to ask him the same questions but he will help me 

unless he soo busy that he no time to reply back to me thank you 

Ronald 

Edited by Ronald

Hey Ron...First off...I think you'll enjoy build scale cars, if you like 1/1 cars. OK..to try and answer your questions...

Personally... I strip all the chrome(using concentrated laundry bleach...Clorox is what I use) from every build that I do. The Chrome that's applied to most of the the kits are way too brite for the smaller scales. I will leave the chrome for 1/12th and larger builds.

To re-chrome....I shoot a Black or Blue High gloss base coats. Alclad II has Chrome that has a little learning curve. You can use Alclad polished Aluminum as it works good too. I also use ALSA Mirror Chrome which has a small learning curve but does not rub off when dry. 

If you want to leave the chrome and just touch up where it was cut from the sprue...then you can use a small paint brush( 3 0 or smaller) and a dab of Model Master Chrome Silver #FS 17178. Model Master has another chrome paint but it's not as good. I've used both and this one works the best between the two. Put a small amount of paint in a mixing pallet and add a drop or two of Lacquer thinner. Don't mix it in just let the thinner hit the edges of the paint and then load you brush and apply to the spot on the part. 

NOW...since MOLOTOW has come out with 3 paint pens and a refill bottle...all one has to do is just touch the part with it and it's rechromed. But...the small down side of it is..it takes at least 3-4 days for it to dry. It's is remarkable how well this paint looks when applied. If you can work with the dry time...then Molotow is the way to go. You can do a search on the web and watch a a few videos that's out there on it.

Well Ron...I hope I've shed a little light on the chrome thing for you. Just remember there's no right or wrong..it's what ever works best for you.

Gary

• Like 2

I, too, have wondered about the bright chrome on model car parts, especially for models of classic cars, such as Deusenbergs, Packards, Mercedes, Rolls Royces, etc., from the 1930s. Were these parts actually "chromed," or were they in fact nickle-plated? Would toning down the chromed kit parts with a clear semi-gloss or satin finish be appropriate?

thanks Gary  so much for your knowledge of model cars and the info on the chrome mystery I will look in to both ideas the 

model master chrome silver and the MOLOTOW  again thanks P.S I know who to ask for help with model cars, along with anyone else 

who wishes to help as well 

Ronald 

Hey Michael...

you bet you can use a semi gloss(or semi flat...or just a flat clear...depending on the look you're after) on the Chrome parts. I'd forgotten about that technique. I just strip and re-shoot. But...In the case of a humungus amount of chrome like you mentioned...I think I'd cut from the spure...do the touchup on the small spots...wait a week...then apply the semi clear a little at a time. Now...Myself...I would shoot a thinned out amount thru my airbrush. You could brush it on but make sure to thin it a little. 

Hey Ron...you're very welcome.

Ronald,

I wish you luck moving to the automotive genre.  I too have always wondered about how to treat chrome on 1/24 scale autos.  The big reason I have always avoided automotive kits is the super clean finish needed to accomplish a "scale" finish.  I've seen guys that just have the knack for doing it, but my airbrush skills IMHO, just aren't up to it.  Good luck.

...or you could strip it, clean up all the seams and sink marks and use Bare Metal foil on it.  I actually like this better than any kit chrome or paint.  You and also handle it pretty easily without worrying about fingerprints. 

• 2 months later...

Both Bare Metal Foil and the liquid chromes are horses for courses. Bare Metal Foil would be difficult to apply around contoured curves. Might get away with it on a very gentle compound curve but tight curves will present problems with this material. The foil is great for doing trim work and windscreen surrounds. I have used smooth shiny aluminium plumbing tape as well as BMF and find that as it is a bit thicker it is a bit more forgiving. The liquids such as AK Interactive, Alclad 2 and Molotow Chrome Ink come into their own when air brushed onto more complex shapes. AK and Alclad are for spraying, and the Molotow Refills can be used for Airbrush work. The Molotow Inks come in refillable applicators similar to marker pens in 1mm, 2mm and 4mm tip sizes. Really good for touching in the points where chrome parts are separated from runners if leaving the kit chrome on the parts and for small details such as emblems, logos and raised lettering on models.

• 1 month later...

That Molotow chrome is the "bees knees" if you're going to keep the kit chrome and touch up the areas where the parts were cut from the sprue.

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2018 at 1:33 PM, GaryDavis said:

GaryDavis Quote:  << Personally... I strip all the chrome(using concentrated laundry bleach...Clorox is what I use) from every build that I do. The Chrome that's applied to most of the the kits are way too brite for the smaller scales. I will leave the chrome for 1/12th and larger builds.>>

BUMP  Thanks for the suggestion about bleach. I'd been using all purpose cleaner to remove chrome from knicked 1/12 scale RC rims for re-paint but have found some chrome resistant.

I'll try the bleach method when the Covid-19 hoarding finally ends.

Edited by cheveuxroux

On 7/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, mustang1989 said:

mustang1989 Quote: <<That Molotow chrome is the "bees knees" if you're going to keep the kit chrome and touch up the areas where the parts were cut from the sprue.>>

Thanks for that mention of Molotow chrome...............been wondering how I would cover up exposed plastic on 1/12 scale Monogram car parts .

Edited by cheveuxroux

For a beginner this is not the best choice unless you have deep pockets. https://alsacorp.com/product/easy-chrome/ It is a chrome product that was formulated for the 1:1 market.  They do entire cars but mostly rims, so you know it is durable.  It also has a bit of a learning curve.  Two bottles of paint and two of base coat along with 4 speed shapes to practice on are included for $140.  The primary advantages are 1)it is tough and won't rub off but you have to follow the instructions and lay down the base coat first. 2) You can mask and paint over it.  No masking tape that I have used will damage the surface. 3) You can brush it on after the base coat and it will give you a good mirror finish. 4) you can also dip small parts and get the same finish. 
  Having said that the price is steep but you use very little and it will last a long time.  Oh and it is water soluble. 

25 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

For a beginner this is not the best choice unless you have deep pockets. https://alsacorp.com/product/easy-chrome/ It is a chrome product that was formulated for the 1:1 market.  They do entire cars but mostly rims, so you know it is durable.  It also has a bit of a learning curve.  Two bottles of paint and two of base coat along with 4 speed shapes to practice on are included for $140.  The primary advantages are 1)it is tough and won't rub off but you have to follow the instructions and lay down the base coat first. 2) You can mask and paint over it.  No masking tape that I have used will damage the surface. 3) You can brush it on after the base coat and it will give you a good mirror finish. 4) you can also dip small parts and get the same finish. 
  Having said that the price is steep but you use very little and it will last a long time.  Oh and it is water soluble. 

Hey Peter...I bought the ALSA 8 oz bottle about 14 yrs ago and I still have at least 71/2 oz's left. That's the basic same price I paid for it too. I really like this stuff though. It is a little spendy but man....ya can't go wrong with the way it turns out. Here are a few pics of what I used it on... The wheels (front and rear)... front grill and bumper and the fabbed rear bumper of a 72 chevy...

Also...I used it on this 57 chevy bumpers and wheels. The chrome trim is Bare Metal foil.

FINISHED PICS 011.jpg

FINISHED PICS 003 (Custom).jpg

P1030373.JPG

P1030385.JPG

Edited by GaryDavis
fix pics

6 hours ago, GaryDavis said:

Hey Peter...I bought the ALSA 8 oz bottle about 14 yrs ago and I still have at least 71/2 oz's left. That's the basic same price I paid for it too. I really like this stuff though. It is a little spendy but man....ya can't go wrong with the way it turns out. Here are a few pics of what I used it on... The wheels (front and rear)... front grill and bumper and the fabbed rear bumper of a 72 chevy...

Also...I used it on this 57 chevy bumpers and wheels. The chrome trim is Bare Metal foil.

I did the same thing and still have most of it.  Now that was their Mirrochrome product.  This one is new and can be applied with a brush!  It is kind of fun to do to.  You smear it on and watch is go "Chrome" as it dries.  Also more durable.  I never could mask over the Mirrochrome.  I have masked the heck out of this for a couple of aircraft projects.  Works better than the original.  Oh and it is water based. 

Hey Peter...ya got me going on this new product. I'm going to have to go to their site and take a look. It sounds like they're going along the same lines as the Molotow paint pens. How fast does it dry?

Hi everyone,

On the smaller parts I usually clean up the seams and the sink marks then touch up with Molotow chrome pen. Then a thin coat of Tamiya smoke to tone the "toy like" brightness down. 

On the larger ones I'll strip and I'll airbrush the Alclad chrome system. Practice on a few scrap parts, it's a fairly easy learning curve. Just let it dry thoroughly and handle as little as possible. This is the easiest and cheapest way that works for me. Try a few of the ways mentioned and you'll know what works best for you.

21 hours ago, GaryDavis said:

Hey Peter...ya got me going on this new product. I'm going to have to go to their site and take a look. It sounds like they're going along the same lines as the Molotow paint pens. How fast does it dry?

Well, that is hard to give you an exact number but pretty quickly.  I did a demo at our club meeting and within a few minutes the other members were handling it with no problems.  Now that is the top coat only.  I had presprayed the base coat the day before.  I've never tested how quickly you can get the whole package with base and top coat.  Personally I generally leave each coat in the food dehydrator over night, but I apply that to every paint I use.