HELP NMF

ju52junk

I need some tips please with natural metal finishes.  I dread making a model with NMF.  The problem I have is when I use a wash and then remove the wash I always seem to remove the metal color down to black base coat.  I use AK washes on top of xtreme metal or Vallejo metallics   Any ideas what I am doing wrong?  I have an F-86 in the stash but thenplane has NMF, so I keep putting the build off.  HELP!!!!

Edited by ju52junk

The absolute toughest NMF paint I can recommend is the AK metallics. You don't need any undercoat or primer to use it, though the plastic does need to be glass smooth. So, if you do the proper preparatory surface work, your NMF should come out looking very good.

As to using a wash with metallics.....my only advice would be to go as "gentle" and "low tech" as possible in order to err on the safe side. Instead of using an acrylic or enamel wash, make your own "chalk based" wash.

You can use a dark gray or black chalk, simply scrape or grind a bit of them to make a powder. You could also try using some MiG pigment powder. Mix this powder with water and add a drop or two of liquid dish washing detergent. Make it as thin as the other washes you normally use but be sure to mix it up so well that the powder is completely dissolved. Apply it and remove it as you would your other washes.

The advantage to this type of wash is that it is basically harmless and won't "eat" into your NMF. If it gets somewhere you don't like, it should be easy to remove completely. In fact, if it has a weakness, it's that it can be too easily wiped out and thus can sometimes be hard to "leave it in place" when you're removing the excess.

Hope this helps!

GIL :cool:

Thanks Gil,  I will try Mig pigments mixed with water and detergent(surfactant).

You could also try watercolor paints.  A little water and more paint will give a good wash effect too.

Let it sit awhile and then use a Q-tip to wipe up the excess.

Bill

The problem stems from the fact that the carrier/thinners in the AK wash are the same as for the acrylic metallics you used.  As suggested above, try a water color wash.  Another something to try would be to apply a coat of Future (or whatever they're calling it this week) and letting it dry for a few days.  This becomes a barrier that is impervious to even oil washes.  Beware, though, it will slightly dull the metal look.

Honestly, I don't like the AK or Vallejo washes.  They're acrylic, which means that they dry and set quickly, allowing very little time to manipulate them.  They seem to be better used as overall filters instead of pin washes--I know people who have mastered them, but I have been yet unable to do so, and so I stick to washes made with artists oils.

Ralph