Oshkosh M-978 Heavy Fuel Tanker

ewahl

Years ago our Chapter had a building theme of "It Ain't My Type."  We were supposed to build a model that was in an IPMS/USA Class where we would not ordinarily enter a model.  Each member had to identify the Class(es) he did not like to build in, and then pick a kit and build it during the year.  I do not know much about military vehicles, so I do not build tanks, field guns, railroad mortars, softskins, etc.  I do like automotive subjects, however, and the nearest thing I could find to automotive in military vehicles was this truck kit.

The kit represents a series of Firsts for me.  This was my First true military vehicle.  It was my First 1/35 scale kit.  It was my First attempt at a three-color camo paint scheme.  And it was NOT my First model to not be finished by the build deadline.  Almost fully painted and detailed, it went back into the box and waited for me to tinker with it off and on for almost ten years.  Last August, I was burned out on airplanes from the seven I built for The Magnificent 7's project, so I opened this box and decided to finish the assembly before beginning some new model.

The camo scheme was the biggest challenge for me.  The decal sheet had decals that spread across several color fields, and the lettering changed color in the middle of words, like "FLAMMABLE" for example.  I tried to use the camo layout presented in the instructions, but the scheme did not match the provided decals.  I had to draw a revised camo scheme onto the kit's pieces that was close to reference photos I had from the internet and also adjusted to accommodate the decals.  Thank goodness there were reasonably close Model Master paints available for airbrush application.

I actually liked this kit in spite of its flaws and complications.  I have the Italeri sister kit of the Oshkosh M-977 Flatbed in my stash, but this one will get corrected resin wheels and tires and lots of Eduard photoetch details (which I have in the box).  Some day I might even build it.

Ed 

DSC04590.JPG

DSC04591.JPG

DSC04592.JPG

DSC04594.JPG

DSC04595.JPG

DSC04596.JPG

DSC04597.JPG

• Like 1