why do you model

bmill245

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times of you guys, but I'm new to this forum and I always ask this of the new people I meet. Why did you get into making models? And what do you make? For me I always loved ships, not sure why. Maybe its their power and weight. Maybe its the way the slide through the water. Anyways, I look forward to your responses. Thanks for your time. Brian M.

Hey Brian, Welcome aboard (pun intended) :smiley4: . Hope that you are reading and seeing plenty of cool stuff here.

- I started when I was about 5 ish when dad thought it might be something "neat" for him, brother Keith, and I to do together. We were still a little too young to partake in his passing hobby of building and flying U-Control gas powered airplanes.

- I continued to build "boss" stuff like Neil Armstrong's Apollo Command Module and the Lunar Lander. The Snakes' funny car. And the Mach what ever X-15. Have built pretty much ever genra of plastic model since then. My building preference has floated in and around a few specific subjects but right now the priority is somewhere around:

1/12 Bikes

1/48 WWII Props

1/35 WWII AFVs

1/700 Subs

Any scale Babe figures (I'm a dirty old man).

- Why do I still build? It gives me time to relax, think, and forget about reality (the job, earning money, paying the bills, fixing the house, etc., etc). It also gives me time to spend building with my brother and even with my model buddies from the local chapter. We have a model building party here at my place next weekend, all day Saturday.

- I also like to learn new techniques. 25 years ago, I didn't know how to drybrush. 20 years ago I had never used Future floor wax for a pre-decal coating or a full on gloss coat. 15 years ago I didn't know how to airbrush filters and forced perspective effects. And now I am looking to learn how to get all of those cool nicked and scratched effects you see on armor models these days. ALL of these techniques, I was introduced to by fellow IPMS members and learned how to perfect them to my satisfaction with my fellow club members.

- Sometimes, I take all that I have applied to my models and enjoy going to competitions with them. But that's a whole 'nother thread. I hope that you are able to find everything satisfying about our Society, this DF, and the hobby in general. Model on, Brother of the Sprue. :smiley20::smiley4:

(In my best Professor Irwin Corey)......

"Ah...a deep question! Why do I model? I must split the question into TWO parts to adaquately answer such a perplexing quirey."

"First, WHY? That's a basic question that's nagged mankind since he first sat around the campfire. Why are we here? Why do the Mastadons migrate? Why doesn't my cave wife fill out her animal hide like Raquel Welch 10,000BC? Why is a question that we'll always ponder, but never fully answer."

"Two; do I model? YES!" :smiley2:

And if you recognize the above, you AIN'T young!

And to actually answer your question. I have a love of aviation and history. Combine that with the exposure to modeling that was typical for boys in the 60's and they became a magic trio. I've built since I was about 8yrs old, and unlike most guys I never stopped in spite of cars, girls, school, or work! I build aircraft mainly, and by mainly I mean better than 95% of the time. However, I've also started building cars, tanks, and ships over the last 2yrs after building none of those for over 20yrs. Part of that has to do with being in the club I'm in, some to do with the kits being released (I like 1/48 armor and they're now becoming popular again, and nostalgia for Revell Deals Wheels cars), and a bit to do with a good 'ol change of pace.

The ONE thing I think that sets me apart from a lot of my fellow builders is that I don't take it too seriously. I can't let things like accuracy or superdetailing bog me down. The up side to this is that I've never suffered from "burnout" or "modelers block". The downside is that almost every model I build will not be a contest winner because at some point I just want to get it done and move on to the next, leaving something that will get gigged and leave me out of the running (and deservedly so!). I admire the guys who have the descipline and patience it takes to build them right and win awards. However, I've tried that road and it's not for me!

I'm truly thankful for this hobby! It's not as expensive (or frustrating) as golf. It can be educational. It can be relaxing, if you allow it to be! And, it's a great way to divert your mind and hands from whatever else in life has been bugging you that day. It even gets me through my workouts as I plan the next steps for what's on the bench, or scan the stash and figure out what's next in line as I sweat and strain.

Great question! Thanks for asking!

GIL :smiley16:

Hi Brian,

I don't think the question "Why do you model" has been asked before. Anyway, I started probably around 6 or 7. I think the first kit I got was at a Cub Scout Christmas party. Anyway just started building whatever kit I could get in my younger days (with my mom thinking it was a waste of time and money). I stuck with it because I like working with my hands and it gave me things to do in the evenings. Now I model to try and get rid of all the kits I've bought :smiley17: . Actually I find it relaxing. I prefer building US WW2 armor and aircraft but will build just about anything as long as it interests me.

Eric

Like many people, I started building models as a young boy and thereafter moved into and out of the hobby through out my life. Currently I am building 1/48 WWII Axis planes and support equipment. Why? I think in order to be alone in an otherwise chaotic (normal) life. While anarchy reigns at work and home, I can slip into my man-cave and go one-on-one with my plastic. I am accountable to myself and produce for myself. Success is what I make it. No one complains if something doesn't quite works out, except perhaps me and I am pretty easy on myself.

In fact, that might be the bottom line - I am pretty easy on myself.

And I keep getting better with the models I make.

Welcome to IPMS/USA and the forum.

I build models for the fun and relaxation (sometimes frustration). I build automotive subjects most of the time, expecially Corvettes. I have loved cars all of my life and through modeling I can own just about any car there is without all of the expense.

After joining IPMS/USA I ventured into some of the other areas of the hobby and have enjoyed those trips. I am currently building a ship model. It poses different problems but I am learning new techniques that I can bring back to my cars.

I can say that I am a modeler that is continuously in the build mode. For 17 years I was the editor of the IPMS Journal and during that time my modeling time was very limited. Now I am trying to get to my collection of kits and build as many as I can.

My local club has and is a wonderful place to learn and just visit with friends that share the same interest. Our group has a once a month build meeting, which gives us the time to just visit and build together (and sometimes the stories outshine the building).

Thanks for asking and keep modeling.

David

Because I'm a Masochist. I enjoy: parts flying through the air to who knows where, bent and mangled PE, superglued fingers, knife cuts, failing eyesight, sniffing noxious fumes and spending money on kits I'll never build.

As Tom Sizemore said in Blackhawk Down, "What's not to like about it?"

Why did you get into making models?

I figure it keeps me out of bars, and therefore out of trouble. :smiley24:

Seriously, it is something I do to feed my interests in history and machinery. I was fascinated by airplanes as a kid, so I built model airplanes. As I learned more and more about history, I found myself specializing--first in WWI airplanes, then WWII ships, then everything WWII. I've since added the history of the Middle East and other eras into my modeling mix. I do a lot of "Heritage" collections (for instance, I have planned collections in 1/48 scale of all the mission aircraft flown by the Florida Air National Guard and the 23rd Fighter Wing, as well as the U.S. Coast Guard aircraft) and "family" collections (i.e., all versions of the F-111 or the USS New Jersey as she appeared during WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and the Cold War).

And what do you make?

Pretty much everything, although I tend to "specialize" in aircraft. My interests are varied--in the last four months I've completed one car, one armor piece, and three airplanes, I have another two airplanes and a ship in work. I also have two figures in various painting stages--most of my figures are of soldiers of the American Civil War (War of Yankee Aggression, or whatever term you like to use), although I have done a few pilot figures as well.

The one genre I haven't done a lot in is Science Fiction, and I'm not exactly sure why that is....although I have been tempted by the FineMolds Star Wars models.

Ralph

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times of you guys, but I'm new to this forum and I always ask this of the new people I meet. Why did you get into making models? And what do you make? For me I always loved ships, not sure why. Maybe its their power and weight. Maybe its the way the slide through the water. Anyways, I look forward to your responses. Thanks for your time. Brian M.

Well, Brian, to answer the first question, I used to model to get away from the troubles of reality-work, money, bills etc., Now its just a matter to get up there and try to build something. Mostly its during Club meetings that I get most building done, where I'm not distracted by life in general.

Now the WHAT.

1/24-25 scale cars and trucks, mostly Hot Rods and Customs, with a few stock models thrown in for good measure.

1/72 scale WWII Aircraft. Mostly Fighters with a couple of early jets and a single WWI Fighter thrown in. Also have a couple 1/48 planes in the mix. These were given to me as they didn't know what scale I built.

1/72 scale WWII armor, mostly American, British and German Armor and Halftracks, and Softskins. Also have a few 1/35 scale Armor that was given to me or I won as Doorprizes at contests.

I also have Three ships to make. 1. PT109 simply because I like those boats. 2. Revell USS Ward going to be converted to resemble my late Father-in-laws ship from WWII. He was on the old Flush Deck Destroyers before and during the war. I have some of his pictures from the time period and plan on using them in building the ship. 3. An old Lindberg box scale model of the German pocket Battleship Scharhorst.

I have been building since I was around 8 or 9, so I have seen my share of things come and go. :smiley17::smiley12::smiley17:

Brian, Like so many others I love airplanes and history and I just like to make things. In my former life I was a carpenter. Its also my refuge in a sometimes too crazy world. Its the one place I have some control left. Until recently, it really didn't matter if any one saw my work. Now I'm on the review team and have to put it out there for all to see. Bottom line is, it fills a creative void that I can't satisfy any other way. We're very lucky to be alive right now as the quality and variety of kits is awesome. Be on the lookout for my MIL 24D Hind and Ferrari F-1 car of Alain Prost in the 1990 season on the reviews section of this website. Oh and Welcome.

Chris Smith

Yes, the same question, but always fun to answer. :smiley20: For me it's a hobby that I've always loved and come back to. As a kid, I built a lot of airplanes, and one aircraft carrier, and a few cars that were glue bombs to match the rest. LOL After returning to the hobby 6 years ago, I'm loving it more and more each build. I build 99% automotive subjects. I've built one 1/12 moto gp bike, and a couple dioramas along with a sci-fi subject now and again. The best part of building for me is the stress relief it gives me after a bad day. It really takes my focus off of the bad things and puts it into a constructive medium/effort. My wife calls it "decompressing".

For me as a kid in junior high school in 1953, I discovered a "hobby of a lifetime." Today, it is a "lifetime hobby."

My father was in a business that designed and manufactured lubrication devices, shaft seals, and roller/ball bearings for automotive and aircraft engines, both piston and jet. He brought home Aviation Week magazine, which I soon read front to back. I loved aviation and learned gradually about its history. I joined Civil Air Patrol in high school and learned something about discipline, leadership, and responsibility along with the flight theory and back seat time with the CAP squadron's flying senior members that I could record in a log book.

The first plastic model kits of airplanes reinforced my desire for all things aviation. With the limited paints than available -- gloss black, white, red, yellow, green, blue, silver, and gold -- I tried to make models that looked like those in the Aviation Week magazine. They were painted with a brush. I remember begging for $0.98 to buy the Revell B-52 bomber when it was first released, and painfully waited until I "earned" it with some chores that I was assigned. I still have it (in pieces) in a box of old models that need to be restored.

While I first started with cars (Highway Pioneers), I switched to aircraft and then to ships, mostly Revell because I liked their quality and detail. I was generally disappointed with Lindberg and Aurora's aircraft (still am). Space and sci-fi kits began with Revell's missiles, then the U.S. Manned Space Program and 2001: A Space Odyssey. AMT and MPC revived my automotive interests with good kits of modern cars that I could build showroom stock. The ships fell away, and I never started armor. I tried figure painting with oils and discovered I both liked it and was fairly good at it. So, now I'm a modeling generalist.

This is a long answer to "why" and "what." Thanks for asking.

Ed

Why I build....

At first as a kid, I built because 1) I enjoyed seeing something being made by my own hands. 2) I enjoyed making a model of something military come to life. and 3) I was always trying to keep up in the 'arms race' between myself and my two modeling friends.

Now it is because I enjoy building. I build also to relax and get away from the stresses of life. I build for the camaraderie, compliments, comments, and suggestions I get at meetings, shows and contests. And finally, I keep building on the off chance someone wants to challenge me to another wargame; collection vs. collection as happened in the good old days! :smiley17:

Now what I build; not necessarily in this order:

1) 1/72 scale aircraft, all eras, all countries, all types.

2) 1/72 scale armor, all eras, all countries, all types from jeeps to massive supertanks (i.e. Maus, E-100).

3) Ships. Military ships mostly in 1/700 scale, but will build in 1/500 and 1/600 scale if I can find them in that scale; particularly battleships and carriers. I also build miscellaneous civilian ships and boats in various scales ranging from 1/385 to 1/500 scale.

4) Buildings, fortifications and structures in HO/OO and 1/72 scale. I gotta have something for my armor and troops to fight for! :smiley17::smiley20:

5) Occasionally a car; but only if it catches my fancy. Typical examples are any Tom Daniel's cars, anything 1930's era or maybe even a luxury type or two. Some TV/Movie cars as well.

6) Occasionally a Sci-Fi subject. Usually that is something from a favorite show (Babylon 5 space station) or from a great memory (Eagle One transporter: Space 1999)

That is all I have so far. Thanks for asking such a great question.

I like to model and see how well I can put something together. I also like to see other peoples work to get Ideas and chat with everbody else. Since I mostly do armor, weathering is a plus and fun to do.

I build for the fun and thirill of seeing the plastic take the shape of the boxtop art. I do it for the relief of having to worry about the daily things and just worry about the mess I am making of the model at hand.

I have loved doing model planes since my first, that I begged for, a 1/72 F84. I only had Elmer's glue back then and was on vacation far from home. I had no paint and did not get the decals put on it. Where it went I have not a clue. My first car was a Studebaker that I ordered from the back of a cereal box. I waited patiently for 6 weeks for it to arrive via mail, that was dropped off by passenger train each day a 4 PM.

Later in the early 60's a friend got me hooked on modeling again and we were constantly trying to out do each other. I loved B-17's, from the 12 O"CLOCK HIGH TV show. That was my goal, to bulld one of those. I did build one, Airfix 1/72, and it was my joy until it was destroyed when I thought I had no time for modeling. With 2 kits and a wife my life was too busy. The kids are married. The wife let me have my own room in our new house ( for modeling only) Now I have 3 B-17's, 3 B-24's, 2 b-26's, 1 A4 Skyhawk, 1 F-18, 1 F-4, and 1 Dauntless hanging from my ceiling. I have built more models in the last 4 years than all of my youth. I buld mostly aircraft, 1/72 & 1/48, with an occasional artillery piece thrown.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Why?

Well, it started with my Dad. The first kit we put together was a the Monogram 1/48 F-14A, when it had just been released. He traveled a lot so it was 'our' time to bond and have a really good time. We used to model and watch Carl Sagan on the tube. Then I remember going to my first hobby shop with him and buying a 1/48 Monogram B-29. We had a lot of fun with that kit and I can still remember that hobby shop. For me, it was like a whole new world. I used to love going to my grandparents house and playing with my dad's old builds. I build because it reminds me of the old times and because it gives my love of aircraft, armor, and ships something tangible to hold on to. I enjoy the hunt for the right kit, but so does my stash. I also like the research involved- kinda gets me pumped about the build.

What?

Lately I have been focusing on WW2 aircraft. I have a love affair with the 'Jug' and the B-25. In the end though, I model what I fancy. If it's a ship, then I'll usually focus on 1/350 scale. I have only done one, the USS Missouri, but I am sooooo tempted to break the bank and grab the Nagato from Hasegawa. I like the size and complexity of the scale. As far as aircraft, mostly 1/48 and 1/32nd scale. It's easier for my eyes to add detail when it's a little larger! I love armor too, both modern and old in 1/35th.

I build because it gives my mind something to do. I'm a graphic designer so I can be creative but modeling gives my brain and creative abilities an outlet.

I just to think it was to relax myself and enjoy the build. After last nights painting episode, I'm not so sure. There I was painting the Hummel and waiting for the Humbrol FLAT olive drab to dry so I could see where I may have missed. After 30 minutes it was still not flat. I touched and found it to be dry. I checked the tin and it was fully mixed. Luckily, since I have to gloss it anyways it isn't that big a deal but it sure made me wonder why I do this. It must be to enjoy the "overcoming of adversity".

Mark

Why do I model? What a long story this could be. I startd like others with my dad back and the fifties doing balsa wood planes. He was great he did a lot of scratch build. I always had this facination for ships more than planes especially sailing ships. I left modeling for along time in the 60's and 70's you know all the young man things. The late 80's my family took a trip to the east coast and I keep seeing ship models everywhere for sale (built ones) but I couldn't afford them. My wife suggest I look into getting a kit when we got home and build my own. The rest is history. I love the beauty of ships and the history that goes with them. I do build some cars and a WWI plane now and then but I always come back to my ships. Building relaxes me takes me a way from everyday life. The IPMS has been a real help in my modeling. I joined in 2001 and my local club soon after. Hope that wasn't to boring.

Rod