M60A3 DUALTEX camo info ?

TimDarrah

I have the Tankograd book "MASSTER-MERDEC-DUALTEX" and it interests me bigtime. I've already done a  M163 in the MASSTER scheme and am looking at doing a M113A2 and/or M60A3 in the DUALTEX scheme. Might anyone have or know if there is schematic on how they were supposed to be painted? Anything similar to what was done for the MERDEC schemes, I have that already.

've already looked on the net and found a few photos but nothing that really helps me much.

Thanks,

Tim

Application of the pattern was varied. For the Aberdeen tests, a 4” roller was purchased at a local hardware store. Soldiers from the 2nd ACR  report that sponges were cut into 4” squares, dipped in the paint and “blotted” on while others say they used cardboard with 4” holes cut in it and brushed away. To date, the author has been unable to find an official “Dual-Tex” vehicle pattern, though t seems the Army used the MERDC pattern as a modeland applied the paint in squares rather than broad strokes. In fact, in his works on dual texture, O’Neill indicates that the overall pattern is less important than the basic concept. Like many MERDC era paint jobs, they were unit-applied and usually “eyeballed” variation was the standard.

http://www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles-news/dual_texture_gradient_camouflage_pattern

From what I understand, was that it was a unit-level test only and never approved BY DA.

Guys, thanks for the info. I have the Tankograd book for the M60A2, M60A3 and the bridge lying track (don't remember what code it is) on the way & it should be here this week. Hopefully it'll have some more photos of this scheme.

Thanks again for your input.

Tim

No worries!  Regardless of how bad this kit is....I am going to have 1 or probably more!  Really hope they follow it with an M60.  I need to check references and see how different the nose adapter is.  Maybe Legends will do one.  Really great year for models and me.  MiniArt with the Diesel Lee & Grant coming out and this!   Wonderful! 

I can only imagine the nightmare this paint scheme would have been. When we repainted our tanks using MERDC, it was an assembly line process with one detail of men who spray painted every tank in the company solid green. The platoon sergeants and motor sergeants worked off of old, poor photocopied camouflage scheme sheets and chalked off areas of the tank. The crews would either spray (until it gunked up or broke) or hand paint the black and brown using brushes that were like the ones you'd use to paint your porch.

We never even bothered with the sand squiggles. Cutting stencils were a pain as was masking off the headlights and other items you didn't want painted.

Well, that Tankograd book arrived today. Definitely get  "Tankograd American Special #3022 - M60A2, M60A3 & AVLB" if you want to build the AVLB. It doesn't really help if you're going to build a A2 or A3 in my opinion. But then, who am I? ;-) 

• Like 1