trucolorpaint

We are in the process of developing the RAF camouflage colors used in WWII plus the green used on the interior of the plane.  At the current time we have 8 colors that have been identified to us as being the most useful colors that should be brought onto the market: Medium and Dark Sea Gray, Azure Blue, Dark Green, Interior Green, Dark Earth, Light Aircraft Gray, and Sky Blue Type S. Should there be any other color(s) that should be added to this list ?

Are there any RAF WWII modelers out there that would like to help us develop these colors by evaluating R & D samples of the colors ? We would be sending 3-4 colors at a time with up to 2-3 shades of each to evaluate. You would get about 1/2 ounce of color to try. All would be air brush ready and have a matte to flay finish (if they need to be glossy for any reason you need to tell us that !). We would also send some thinner and acetone for clean up. Please reply to this thread to contact us via email for further information.

Martin Cohen

Tru-Color Paint

P.O. Box 74524

Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

email: tru.colorpaint1@yahoo.com

I'd add Azure Blue to that list. Almost every paint I see leans towards purple, while color pics look much more blue. Being an underside color, it was not as prone to fading and shifting as topside colors. I'd like someone to definitively figure out what shade it should be for a MODEL, which would include "scale effect".

GIL :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

John & Gil:

Thank you for your replies.  We have been developing most of the colors listed above in the lab and sending them to several individuals for evaluation.

Regarding the Azure Blue, does the RAF color (and any of the other RAF colors for that matter) match any of the WWII U.S. ANA colors ? We have the Monogram books that show a good many of the color chips with the same name as the RAF colors. The Azure Blue ANA 609 is definitely a purplish color as shown by spectra graphic analysis (as well as visual observation) of the color chip in the Monogram book. We have a really good looking match for that Azure Blue and would like to send it (along with a few other colors we have done) to either or both of you for your comments.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this project.

Martin Cohen, PhD

Tru-Color Paint

P.O. Box 74524

Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779

email: tru.colorpaint1@yahoo.com

Personally, I've never liked the purple-ish hued Azure blue, as I cannot see it in any contemporary color slide pics (good pics that are not color shifted over time).

I've found that the US Medium Blue seems to be a good Mk.1 "eyeball" match to Azure blue. The in theater color pics seem to be more blue-ish than purple-ish. The key is that you in NO way fade the US Medium Blue like you would for USN WWII stuff.

I understand the the chip may have a purple color to it, but it just doesn't seem to show once that paint is spread over an entire airframe.

Upon further intense discussion with my buddy Jerry (along with some adult beverage consumption); and upon consultig the IPMS Stockholm website concerning comparable colors; it seems that the US "FS" equivalent of British Azure Blue is FS 35231. After next consulting my fan deck to look at the chip, it IS very much a blue color without a purple tint to it. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

We sent 3 different shades of Azure Blue (plus about 4 other colors) to the people we have been working with on the RAF colors for their evaluation. This includes Rowan Baylis in UK who has written a book on the RAF and has actual color chips in his collection of this and most of the other RAF colors. He just emailed me today he received the samples this AM so we hope to hear back from him by the end of next week.

Rowan said he also has Luftwaffe color chips so that may be something we should think about for 2019. Anybody have any thoughts about Luftwaffe WWII colors ?

Martin Cohen, PhD

Tru-Color Paint