New to IPMS

ju52junk

My name is Jim Pariseau.  I am a new member.  Been building models since I was 5 years old (54 years ago).  I live in South Burlington, Vermont.  Mostly I build 1/48 scale airplanes.  My ever increasing stash is up to about 200 models.   I have finally realized I will never build them all.  But always in the market to purchase new kits and after market accessories.  You can say I am a compulsive buyer.  Looking to hear from other modelers.  Does anyone know why Vermont does not have any good hobby shops?

Edited by ju52junk

Jim, a belated welcome to IPMS USA Forums. I have family in Burlington myself, it is lovely country up there. I'm thinking your lack of hobby shops is due to similar issues that many other places are experiencing. Not enough people around who support the Hobby to justify the costs of maintaining a brick and mortar presence. 

Thank you for replying Mark.  Sadly,  Mark I must agree that Vermont does not have enough people to support  a bricks and motor esablishment.  Back in the late 60s and early 70s there was a small but good hobby shop in downtown Burligton called Russel`s hobby shop(anyone in the Burlington area remember?).

Jim,

Welcome to IPMS.  I've been a member for (mumble) years, and have always enjoyed modeling, the comradeship and the magazines. 

As far as having too many models in the stash, consider this.... Models go out of production, and you may never see them again.  So it makes sense to grab something that interests you, even if you aren't going to build it right away.  Last month I was interested in a C-7 Caribou.  The AModel kit was released in 2013, but I thought "Nah, later."  And then when I wanted one, I had to really dig for it, because they were out of production, and out of stock at most online dealers. 

I found one, which was good, because paying double for one on EBay wasn't my idea of a good time.

So enjoy the hobby.  Build something!  Show it off to your buddies.

Jim Pearsall

Jim,  Thank you for your words of encourgement.  Now back to building  Eduarrd 's Royal Class Fw-190A early birds.

Edited by ju52junk
typo

Welcome aboard, Jim! Unfortunately, as the Duke says, we see fewer and fewer pure hobby shops. Online hobby shops seem to be the current wave. We hope to see your work sometime.

Happy modeling,

Mark