My Turn--Keith Liotta

Howdy folks,

Everyone knows the Engars, Bill and Dick, Dem Brudders. My name is Keith and I'm the other half of, Dem Udder Brudders, along with my brother Ken. We and the Engars have been friends for a number of years and they coined the new title for us, and we use it with relish and a distinct sense of honor and respect for Bill and Dick. It's always a pleasure to have them here in Albuquerque for a visit or head up to Utah for whatever contest or event we can support them for.

I'm the oldest of five siblings and started on this styrene journey at the age of 6, fostered by my father who was more of a stick and tissue man in my early years. I've been modeling pretty much ever since, through twelve years of service in the Navy on carrier flight decks, one marriage that bore me my now seventeen year old son, and my current wife and soul mate Sharon, who is tolerant and supportive beyond belief.

I've worked in numerous hobby shops, the aircraft industry, and the medical field. I spent a year and a half recovering from a bad motorcycle accident learning to walk again with my young son, all the while playing at the work bench when time allowed. I joined IPMS in the late 70's but lapsed a few years. I've been a member ever since rejoining and attend local, regional and national events as often as possible.

My modeling tends to be on the leisure side for my own entertainment, but I placed second in single engine prop a few years back with an inspired effort. I enjoy the social aspect of the society but have learned a ton of things from members all over the country that has had a positive and lasting impact on my enjoyment of the hobby.

My interests have become more focused over the years. Primarily I'm a blowtorch fan and like anything modern jet, especially Navy. I have an affinity for the two Airwings I served with aboard the two carriers I was assigned to. USS Midway with CVW5 and USS Kitty Hawk with CVW2. As expected I'm also a fan of modern carrier aviation and have a stash of 700 scale kits that are slowly becoming my fleet. I tend to be one of those NUTS that love doing hypothetical subjects or markings, a 1/48 Monogram F-20, or F-5G, as an example. It is currently being converted to a two seat F-20G that may well go into Israeli markings (I love putting ANYTHING into Israeli markings, like the Me262 I'm almost finished with) I can't hardly touch a model without doing something unusual or, dare I say, controversial to it. I also love Formula One but have limited myself to the Tamiya 1/20 kits. I have a collection of 43 NASCAR kits and decals, to do the 1992 season ending race when Richard Petty retired and Alan Kulwicki won the Championship, AND my son was born!

I dabble in armour, but only 1/35 SPG/SPH kits, mostly modern. And I'm an airliner freak, started when I was working at GE Aircraft Engines here in Albuquerque. I started the plant model display with a few 1/72 military subjects, and then started learning about airliners. Been riding that roller coaster ever since. 1/144 by the way.

I've only recently started becoming active in the forums here and elsewhere but have been thrilled with all the positive aspects and responses I've seen and received. It's a real pleasure to be part of this group and count myself fortunate to be among you all. I look forward to the conversation and meetings to come, and to be renewed as well.

Model on fellow Bothers of the Sprue (B.O.T.S) :smiley4:

Keith, great story! Glad to finally know you better, although I am one who doesn't know Dem Brudders except through their writings. I hope someday you'll be able to come to an Orangecon, but hopefully I'll see you at the 2010 Nats. Or even sooner if you come visit family here; my Military base is open.

Thanks for posting your info!

It's good to get to know folks better.

I enjoy your columns, so keep those coming. :smiley20: