1/72 Roden 8 inch howitzer with FWD Model B ammo truck

Ron Bell

This can be purchased as a set or individually. The gun is a very nice, detailed rendering. The iron "tires" on the wheels are done as separate vinyl parts that are too short but with a little judicious stretching and using super glue, they fit. While they are too wide (the real ones did hang over the rims, but not this much), some trimming worked fine. The gun can be built either "in battery" or "in transport" configuration. Unfortunately, they don't tell you that in the instructions. They tell you to glue the gun lock (that thing on top of the trail on the right side) across the box of the trail as it would be in travel mode, which is fine except they also tell you to glue all the gun mount and site parts in place which locks the gun in a firing position. To put the gun out of battery, you would need to not glue the gun mounts or the sight until the gun lock is in place and you can set the gun on it and the glue the rest in position. Let's just say they are typical Roden instructions.

As to the truck, I've built a LOT of small scale models and this may be the fiddliest I've ever done. Many parts are smaller than the sprue gates and extreme care must be taken in their removal and clean up. The undercarriage is quite detailed, but the instructions are poor. However, the illustrations of the parts are rendered very well so you can use the pictures to identify parts and locations.

The caisson is very delicate. I broke one axel without even knowing it.

All told it makes up into a very nice little display and would lend itself well to a diorama.

38975422505_a2bb4014b7_k.jpg

25003191337_ae7f33794b_k.jpg

39842087832_68dfbf1a22_k.jpg

25003197267_012e2af3d5_k.jpg

25003200487_18c46b29ca_k.jpg

26001353298_2adb6ff766_k.jpg

26001351568_8a269e750e_k.jpg

Sensational work Ron! I built the FWD by itself and so I know exactly what you experienced. I do hope someday to get the whole set you show here. Thanks for posting such a masterpiece!

The camo was done in stages. Everything was sprayed light grey first. Then I masked the lt. grey areas roughly with silly putty and sprayed any other colors that did not touch the grey. These were all enamels. Then, to avoid lifting the undercoats, I brushed on the other colors in acrylics to the approximate demarcation lines, then did the black with a fine brush and acrylic black. Tedious, but it worked

Cool technique. I did similar, painting all in enamels. I also masked with Silly Putty as well. For my black lines, I added them with a fine-tipped Sharpie marker. Yours still outshines mine. Congrats once again on a well built model.