A couple of 2018 National Ship contest items

EFGrune

The National Competition Committee has finished updates to the categories and rules for 2018. The updated documents have been sent to the host committee and the IPMS webmaster to be put up, but there are a couple of items I wanted to share.

1) Commercial Ships (406). This category has been under subscribed for the past several years. It was established on a trial basis to see if there was interest. Unless there are a significant number of entries this year the category will be eliminated.

2) At the request of several of the ship judges there is a new category 'Ship Vignettes' in the Diorama/Vignette class. This is in addition to the existing Ship Diorama category. A vignette is a entry in which the whole of the presentation, model and base, is judged. A vignette differs, for our purpose, from a diorama that there is not a story. A ship vignette is a 'slice of time' or an environmental setting. Think of a ship taking green water over the bow or kicking up a roostertail wake, or just sitting at anchor over a reef. A ship vignette may be one or more ship/boat subjects as long as the individual subjects are not interacting with one another. Two ships on the same base sailing along is a vignette. Two ships interacting, firing on one another or performing UNREP, is more of a diorama.

I hope to see support for this category. Again if there is no support it will go away

• Like 1

Hmm, I don't normally build boats/ships unless they are in my scale but have been thinking of a possible commercial entry. Guess I better find a kit.

• 3 months later...

I can foresee all kinds of confusion between ship dioramas and vignettes.  For instance; what would two ships performing a hard turn in tandem be classified?  Are they working together avoiding a bombing run, or just sailing along making a turn?  IMHO, it could be entered in either category (modeler's choice?).  To prevent a lot of confusion shuffling categories by judges at the convention, I would suggest a VERY clear explanation of both categories somewhere.  I know you posted it here, but I am thinking in the rules themselves in written form maybe.  Just a suggestion.

Wow, I never knew about the commercial ship category. I have a few commercial ships, none of them contest worthy; but if it keeps the category available, I'll bring a few to Phoenix.

10 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Wow, I never knew about the commercial ship category. I have a few commercial ships, none of them contest worthy; but if it keeps the category available, I'll bring a few to Phoenix.

Mark, if there are no entries, than anything you have would be "contest worthy" 😄

21 hours ago, Mark Aldrich said:

Nothing more comic than having the only three entries in a category at a No sweeps contest!

LOL! That has happened to me a few times. Mostly I'm one of four entrants in a category which locks me in for Fourth Place! LOL!