november/december issue of juronal

Ronald

From what I understand, the printer was late. They said they got backed up with holiday business. I believe it is in the mail now or soon should be. I'd apologize, but this time it wasn't our fault.

I do not understand the printer as in the machine or the person running it was late I never heard of a machine being late was it human error, this use to never happen before

Edited by Ronald

This seems to be a recurring problem with IPMS staff - indolent, over paid 9 to 5ers, slacking off at the holidays. It is not unreasonable to expect these people to discharge their assigned tasks in a timely way, regardless of what else is going on in their lives and regardless of how much of their spare time -especially modeling time - those Society tasks consume! Just like those lazy loafers on the NCC- dragging their derrières on the contest rules changes for the National Contest!

Oh! You're telling me they're volunteers? Who knew? How insensitive and ungrateful of me!

No apologies are necessary Ron. We have a great organization, a great National Convention and Contest and a polished, professional Journal. Only someone doing more than you and the other members of the leadership are doing can, in fairness, criticize.

• Like 2

I do not understand the printer as in the machine or the person running it was late I never heard of a machine being late was it human error, this use to never happen before

Ronald,

It's not too hard to understand the printer being backed up at times. They have only so many machines, that print only so fast, regardless who is running them. Not to mention IPMS/USA is not the only (rather small) client the printers are serving. Moreover, bulk mail is notoriously slow by PO standards and the holiday rush I'm sure didn't help. I'm not making excuses for anyone. Just remember that this is a hobby for everyone involved (except the printer and the PO). And yeah, I realize you and I pay for the Journal, and have the right to expect timely delivery, but like Nick says, most everyone involved is a volunteer and if this is the worst disappointment you experience in 2018, you're doing pretty well. :smiley16:

• Like 1

I think Ron's pertinent point was that WE submitted it to our printer on time, to get it out in the mail on time, and the problem is on the printer's end and not ours. Believe me, I sympathize with your impatience as OUR club's show ad for Feb.10th is in this issue we're waiting for. We should have had close to 5+ weeks of exposure and that's going to be cut nearly in half.

We never like the Journal to run late, but it's not been the systemic problem it was in the past. When you stop and consider how it's all done by volunteers on their free time, it's nothing short of amazing, especially with the quality the Journal has risen to over the last 5+yrs. As an IPMS member for 40+ years, I can second Rusty and the other's opinion that they're doing a very good job, period. Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

There are several components to the Journal to consider. First, it is a publication managed, assembled, and staffed by volunteers. Secondly, IPMS and the Journal have a small footprint, compared to other customers with which the printer and the USPS interact.

The original post seems to have called out the staff for the tardiness of the Journal. In my time as an IPMS member I remember no instance in which the staff's actions, or inactions, caused the Journal to be late. I would think that during the 50+ year history of IPMS that this problem most certainly occurred due to some action, or inaction, of pertinent staff, but I am not aware of any specific issue of that nature.

Mr. Labiche stated that he (paraphrasing) is surprised that since the printing process is automated, it should not be late. Automation and technology, unfortunately, do not equal "timely service". In some cases, bigger dogs than IPMS cause a backup at the printer's shop. In other cases, the equipment needs to be repaired. The printer sometimes makes errors (double pages or other issues) and needs to reset the system. Ask any company that bases its service on technology and automation and they will tell you that "it happens". The New York Subway averages delayed runs 67% of the time, and we've all seen how simple problems can back up airline services.

I'd also suggest that sarcasm, irony, and in some cases, attempted humor, do not translate well on social media. It appears that Ron Bell's response was free of these often troublesome explanatory methods. His statement that the fault lay with the printer was succinct and, perhaps, accurate. I use the word, "Perhaps", to indicate that some or all of the fault may rest on the doorstep of the USPS. Bulk mail is handled in a different method than "regular" mail, and that, coupled with the season in which my local Post Office erected a tent in the parking lot to handle the increase in quantity of the mail being sent, received, sorted, and distributed, may also be at fault.

It is unfortunate that some IPMS chapters will not have their event advertised as early as wished (my chapter is raising its hand) but that can't be helped by IPMS or the Journal Staff. Fortunately, the IPMS website offers an additional outlet for the listing of events.

And before the suggestion is made (again) to distribute the Journal via a link on the website, one should consider the issues involved with that potential "fix". Some members want their Journal via mail in the traditional hardcopy form. Some members do not have email or internet access (yep.....there are a few who simply do not wish to ride the Technology Train), and even for the vast majority who do have access, there is still the problem of printing Journals for those who wish hard copies. That can get very expensive in both directions.............the price does not go down when fewer copes are printed.

About the only action that IPMS can take is to offer an explanation as to the "cause", as Ron Bell put forward.