ipmsusa2

Hi all,

I'm almost to the painting stage for my C-46 build and discovered that I don't know what the gear well color for a WW-II bird is. Worse, I've been unable to find the info anywhere on the internet so far. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the help.

The Erection and Maintenance Instructions (25 April 1945, rev. 26 August 1949) , paragraph 5 (Final Color and finish Requirements), Section a (Interior), Sub-paragraph 4, state: "One coat of gray lacquer, Specification No. AN-TT-L-51, is applied to the nacelle, main landing gear and tail wheel wells and doors."

The landing gear was also to be painted with one coat of the same gray lacquer, but over one coat of zinc chromate primer.

These instruction do not specify an exact shade of gray, and a Google search for "gray lacquer AN-TT-L-51" turned up nothing. I'll post an inquiry on Hyperscale; perhaps somebody over there has an answer.

Regulations being what they may be, it seems like you have a lot of lee-way here.....here's a link to a page where you click on walk around photos of the C-46: https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-46/c-46_all.shtml

The pics I looked at showed NMF wells, gray wells, and gear door interiors that were green when the rest of the wells weren't! Anyway, you can look at the pics, compare it to the above regs, and decide how you want to go!

GIL :smiley16:

Michael & Gil,

Thanks for the help. After looking at all the photos, I think...and considering my client wants a clean model...I'm gonna go with gray wells and doors along with gray gear struts and steel wheels. Tires will be simply Grimy Black since my client doesn't want them flatted. Tires aren't accurate anyway since they have no tread on them.

• Like 2