I Wish for an RF-8 Crusader in 1/48th Scale

nmertes

I would love to see one of the model companies produce an RF-8 with markings for VFP-63, VFP-62, France, & the Philippines.

Hasagawa at least put out a decent kits of the RF-4C and Saab S35 Draken. Tarangus released the SH/SF Viggen & Kitty Hawk released the F9F-8P. There have been a number of F-8 Crusader kits from Hasagawa & Monogram. One of the Hasagawa boxings even included decals for VFP-63.

It is a little surprising that no one has boxed an injection molded RF-8 Crusader. It's always been a popular subject and it did serve for a significantly long time. That said, don't discount trying to make either the C&H resin conversion RF-8, or even the old War Eagle vacuform RF-8 conversion (if you can find one). If you've never done any vac or resin stuff, either of these might be a good way to get your feet wet and stretch your modeling legs. They require more work, but will allow you to builf the RF-8 that you want for your collection without having to wait and see if some kit maker will ever release one.

This is my old War Eagle vac RF-8A I built more than 20yrs ago...

RF-8_Crusader_NEW.jpg

GIL :smiley16:

Very nice job, Gil. I've had a go at vacuform and decided it wasn't my cup of tea. If I could find the resin kit, I'd probably give it a shot. All I have to do is find one. I already have the Monogram F-8 kit and I'm getting used to working with resin add-ons so, that's a possible avenue.

I say find one and make the conversion. That way when you get it finished the manufacturers should have one out about then :smiley2:. Then all of us poor souls won't have to slog through the conversion also. So, thanks ahead of time.

Just say'n.

Bill

• Like 1

I say find one and make the conversion. That way when you get it finished the manufacturers should have one out about then :smiley2:. Then all of us poor souls won't have to slog through the conversion also. So, thanks ahead of time.

Just say'n.

Bill

That would be just about standard for me. I had the old Rareplanes vacuform EC-121 Connie for about 10 years when I decided to tackle it. I had most of the pieces cut out & sanded when Heller came out with their injection molded kit. Fortunately, a friend had also started the Rareplanes kit; had screwed up a couple of pieces & took mine off my hands. The Heller kit is still in my stash.

C&H Aero Miniatures is now Cygnus Scale Conversions. I emailed them a couple days ago but, haven't heard back yet. Some of the C&H kits are now sold by GHIModels.com as John Carlton (Cygnus) is apparently looking to get out of the business.