I Wish for an RF-8 Crusader in 1/48th Scale

nmertes

I would love to see one of the model companies produce an RF-8 with markings for VFP-63, VFP-62, France, & the Philippines.

Hasagawa at least put out a decent kits of the RF-4C and Saab S35 Draken. Tarangus released the SH/SF Viggen & Kitty Hawk released the F9F-8P. There have been a number of F-8 Crusader kits from Hasagawa & Monogram. One of the Hasagawa boxings even included decals for VFP-63.

It is a little surprising that no one has boxed an injection molded RF-8 Crusader. It's always been a popular subject and it did serve for a significantly long time. That said, don't discount trying to make either the C&H resin conversion RF-8, or even the old War Eagle vacuform RF-8 conversion (if you can find one). If you've never done any vac or resin stuff, either of these might be a good way to get your feet wet and stretch your modeling legs. They require more work, but will allow you to builf the RF-8 that you want for your collection without having to wait and see if some kit maker will ever release one.

This is my old War Eagle vac RF-8A I built more than 20yrs ago...

RF-8_Crusader_NEW.jpg

GIL :smiley16:

Very nice job, Gil. I've had a go at vacuform and decided it wasn't my cup of tea. If I could find the resin kit, I'd probably give it a shot. All I have to do is find one. I already have the Monogram F-8 kit and I'm getting used to working with resin add-ons so, that's a possible avenue.

I say find one and make the conversion. That way when you get it finished the manufacturers should have one out about then :smiley2:. Then all of us poor souls won't have to slog through the conversion also. So, thanks ahead of time.

Just say'n.

Bill

• Like 1

I say find one and make the conversion. That way when you get it finished the manufacturers should have one out about then :smiley2:. Then all of us poor souls won't have to slog through the conversion also. So, thanks ahead of time.

Just say'n.

Bill

That would be just about standard for me. I had the old Rareplanes vacuform EC-121 Connie for about 10 years when I decided to tackle it. I had most of the pieces cut out & sanded when Heller came out with their injection molded kit. Fortunately, a friend had also started the Rareplanes kit; had screwed up a couple of pieces & took mine off my hands. The Heller kit is still in my stash.

C&H Aero Miniatures is now Cygnus Scale Conversions. I emailed them a couple days ago but, haven't heard back yet. Some of the C&H kits are now sold by GHIModels.com as John Carlton (Cygnus) is apparently looking to get out of the business.

Top of my wish list is the 1930's Lockeed Orion in 48th.

Years ago a French company did one in resin but they

can't be found now even after years of searching online.

Oh well.

Cliff