1/48 Glenoragram SPAD VII

Ron Bell

This is the Glencoe release of the cleaned up Monogram molds bought from Aurora. Other than adding detail to the cockpit with some scratchbuilding and a Tom's Model Works generic WWI French aircraft interior set, it's OOTB. Only assembly problem was the exhausts. The manifold was at the wrong angle, so it would not fit over the fairing and into the engine. I just cut it off and repositioned it so it would. Markings are for an Italian SPAD in 1917.

25545361258_e030c48cbd_k.jpg

24549282087_196957a828_k.jpg

25545359098_09f9646b3c_k.jpg

24549287937_930e4af8fe_k.jpg

25545356728_47adc2353f_k.jpg

• Like 1

That's a very pretty Spad Ron! I admire how sharp your struts look and how cleanly they're glued in. I've always found the multi-bay straight strut types of biplanes to be the toughest of builds. That prop is quite sharp too! Did you paint the wood effects? Nice way to end the year!

GIL :smiley16:

Yes I painted the wood effect on the prop. Overall a medium brown, then streaked with lighter and darker brown. The brass plate at the center is out of the Tom's Model Works French WWI Interior set. You get two different ones. Also in the set is a wicker seat, seat belts, various size instrument bezels, some access panels should you choose to "open up" your a/c and other odds and ends. Reminiscent of the old "Hodge Podge" sets. Tom's stuff is very reasonably priced as well.

And as s bit of trivia, the markings are for the Italian ace Francesco Barraca. The leaping horse was his personal insignia. Like most aces, he was killed eventually, but after the war, his wife presented Enzo Ferrari with a facsimile of it (don't know why) and Enzo was so impressed, he adopted it as his company's logo.

• Like 1