Monogram 1/48 F-8C Crusader

ghodges

When the new Hasagawa 1/48 F-8E came out, people dumped their old Monogram Crusaders. I bought this one with a TON of resin and pe goodies in it at a bargain price. Among the resin goodies was a Kendal resin cockpit, pe, and wing parts; the Cobra Co. F-8C conversion set with metal gear to correct the Monogram gear, and someone's complete one-piece resin wing (tip-to-tip) with drooped flaps front and back. So, I threw almost all of this stuff into this old Monogram kit and used some old Microscale decals to make one of the most colorful F-8C Crusaders that ever catapulted off of a carrier deck.

001_7.jpg

005_2.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

003_4.jpg

Model Master enamels were used. The model was not rescribed, but all panel lines were emphasized using a pencil. The yellow trim on the windshield and canopy is decal striping.

This is my 15th model completed this year, which is by far my best effort in decades. Comments, critiques, and questions welcome. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

It turned out great Gil. I built the same model smooth from the box and still thought it made into a nice model. I did the same thing you did with the panel lines and it really helped the overall appeal. I actually took second at the region 6 convention that year with it. By today's standards though, it could use a good re-tool. Nevertheless, still a decent kit.

I wonder what the total cost was including all that "stuff" compared to the newer kit?

I built one of those a LONG time ago for Carl Altvogt. Remember him? Only 1/48 jet I've done since I re-started modeling.

Beautiful job, by the way.

Cost? Well, I bought that Monogram kit WITH all those goodies for $30, which was about $5 cheaper than the Hasagawa kit at the time. But, I figure the resin goodies were valued at no less than $50, so I estimate I paid about $15 for all of them, giving the average $15 cost of the Monogram Crusader. I have enough "leftovers" to help with the Hasagawa F-8J I plan to build next, AND will still have some leftovers after that to give to another guy in my club who wants them for his RF-8. :D

Magnificent work once again from a true Master. Stunning great job!

Congrats in finishing 15 models this year too. I'm not even sure how many I finished; there's a possibility you passed me by! Your quality sure has, that's for sure!

Very kind words Duke, but I have to give a nod to you for inspiration and rethinking my building "goals"....

I really admire your zeal for building. It used to matter a LOT more that I build to try to "win"...but why? The bottom line was: because I was concerned about what others thought of my work. But that led to more pressure, slower progress, and less FUN! I noted that although you certainly try to build a nice model and DO build award winning models, that was NOT your goal....it just seemed you put the fun of building at the top of your list, and I decided that's what I would do too.

So, if it comes out good enough to be competitive; great! If not, at least I've reduced my stash by one and enjoyed adding another to my shelf and collection. I no longer worry so much when I make some small mistake that I know will reduce my chances at winning in an IPMS contest, and THAT is a freeing feeling!

I'll never approach your productivity, but I do hope to emulate your zeal for the hobby of building models! IPMS would be a better (and bigger) organization if more modelers were like you!

Edited by ghodges