FYI...Dave Wahl

davewahl

Well, I guess I'll throw myself into the mix. My name is Dave Wahl, I'm soon to be 56 y/o (Aug. 11) and married to a woman who TOTALLY supports my insanity. In fact, when we were dating, Her Father gave me some space in his workbench so I would have a place to build while I was visiting his Daughter. We have two Daughters ourselves, Christina, who is married herself and has given me two beautiful Granddaughters, and Danielle, who is not looking for marriage yet.

I started model building way back around 1962, when my dad got me an AMT 62 Imperial, which I built bone stock with no paint. That really got me going. I built a lot of Aurora, Lindberg, and Monogram 1/32 scale cheapies, But always liked the 1/25 scale 3-in-1 cars.

Fast forward several years. I joined the Air Force in 1971 after Graduation from High School and Built a rather nice collection while I was in, but got rid of most of it when I got out. A few years later, I met my wife to be, and I had a fair sized collection by that time. Moving has damaged more than a fair share of my kits that were finished, but I still have a good amount to still be built.

My main focus is 1/24-25 cars and pickups, but I also build 1/72 scale armor and aircraft, with a few 1/35 armor and a few 1/48 aircraft thrown in that people have given me. I also have a 1/72 PT 109, a Revell Destroyer USS Wardthat is going to be redone to look like my father-n-laws ship in WWII. He was on an old WWI era Flush Deck ship and the ward is actually is an older ship than his, but it is shown with a wooden deck and I have been informed that they had iron deck plates. I have pictures of dads ship from the 30's so I have some period shots to go by.

I joined IPMS in June of 2008 when I finally got the $$$ and the go ahead by the wife to do it. I had been thinking about it for quite a while but couldn't swing it. Boy, all I can say is I was dumb for waiting so long. You people are fantastic, and I am looking for many years in the club. Thanks for letting me join in the fun. Have fun at the Convention next month. :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Dave must come from the rich branch of the Wahl family tree (or are those the Wahls that make and sell clippers?). Me, well ...... :(

Ed Wahl

Dave must come from the rich branch of the Wahl family tree (or are those the Wahls that make and sell clippers?). Me, well ...... :(

Ed Wahl

Don't I wish!!! I'm so poor that I can't even pay attention!! ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, but no cigar. :smiley19::smiley19::smiley19:

- I have been wondering if Dave and Ed were related. I guess this answers that question. I'm one of the lucky guys that is not only still on speaking terms with his brother, but we also live in the same city (and haven't throttled each others necks yet) and go on yearly road trips to places like those Nationals thingies were we get to hang out with all of those other model geeks!

- So Dave, 2008? I would have pegged you for a seasoned veteran of the Society. No matter. As long as you're enjoying the hobby and I don't say anything to ruin your fun (I've been known to do that occasionally. Sorry), that's what matters. Model on Brother of the Sprue. :smiley20:

- I have been wondering if Dave and Ed were related. I guess this answers that question. I'm one of the lucky guys that is not only still on speaking terms with his brother, but we also live in the same city (and haven't throttled each others necks yet) and go on yearly road trips to places like those Nationals thingies were we get to hang out with all of those other model geeks!

- So Dave, 2008? I would have pegged you for a seasoned veteran of the Society. No matter. As long as you're enjoying the hobby and I don't say anything to ruin your fun (I've been known to do that occasionally. Sorry), that's what matters. Model on Brother of the Sprue. :smiley20:

Ken, and others:

I have no idea if Ed and I could be related, probably not as my dad was born and raised in Rochester, N.Y. and we still live in Southern N.Y. As far as being a seasoned veteran, maybe I am, having been building since the 60s with no letup. Unfortunately my painting skills developed in the later 70s-early 80s. I have a small group of builders down here (5 members) and we call ourselves the Kitbashers Model Car Club. We meet the first Saturday of the month as holidays permit. I am just now starting to learn how to spray paint half way decent, with the airbrush to still be learned. One of our members is around 68 y/o and just learned to airbrush, so theres still hope for this tired old cat, LOLOLOL. I have gotten some awards for my models at Buffcon and the Glen Modeling Experience in Watkins Glen, N.Y. I got two third in 1/72 Aviation for an Air Force OV-10 ( one in Buffcon, one at the Glen) and a third forfor an AMT/Ertl 68-70 Nova. I did that as a modified box stock. Well thats enough about my models. :smiley16::smiley16: