KV U-19

BryanKrueger

This is one of those odd Russian tank designs that just caught my eye and needed to be built.

In 1942 there were several proposals to mount a heavy howitzer on a tank chassis to deal with heavy concrete defensive fortifications. One of the proposals was to mount a 203mm B4 howitzer on the chassis of the KV-1 tank. The project didn't make it past drawing phase and was rejected for obvious reasons.

I designed most of the casemate and gun mount in 3D CAD and had a few of the more complex parts 3D printed. Cleanup wasn't that bad. The supports are pretty small at the contact point and fortunately some of the parts have a cast texture.

u-19parts.jpg

I made 2D drawings for the flat parts and cut the sides from sheet styrene stock.

u-19_01.jpg

u-19_02.jpg

The hull assembly was pretty straight forward. I used Fruil tracks. I think I'm about 1 link too long and will adjust.

Additional info on the U-19 can be found here.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/soviet-heavy-assault-guns.html

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ru/2015/12/green-elephant.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The pillbox has some paint. I used the AK real colors for the base color and mixed with Tamiya for shadows and highlights. Still have lots to paint and do.

u-19_03.jpg

u-19_04.jpg
u-19_08.jpg
u-19_05.jpg

u-19_07.jpg
u-19_06.jpg

I've created a number of profiles to study marking options. It's kinda hard to decide. I'm leaning towards the white stripe and small red star but this would put the U-19 in a time frame that would be difficult to place it at. I like the large red star and this feels like something from a video game :lol: The large slogan and number are probably the most universal.

KV-U-19-profile01.jpg

KV-U-19-profile08.jpg

KV-U-19-profile13.jpg

KV-U-19-profile12.jpg

KV-U-19-profile07.jpg

KV-U-19-profile04.jpg

KV-U-19-profile02.jpg

On 3/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, RGronovius said:

This is awesome, a real prototype or a paper project?

Thanks.

"In 1942 there were several proposals to mount a heavy howitzer on a tank chassis to deal with heavy concrete defensive fortifications. One of the proposals was to mount a 203mm B4 howitzer on the chassis of the KV-1 tank. The project didn't make it past drawing phase and was rejected for obvious reasons."

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the beast.

Finished with oils, enamels and pigments. The sheer size of the slab sides made weathering this thing a bit of a challenge.

u-19_10.jpg

u-19_12.jpg

u-19_16.jpg

u-19_13.jpg

Additional images can be found here: KV U-19