LF 1/72 NATO E-3 decals

philp

All I can find is the Special set from Draw Decals. Just want to do a regular NATO E-3.

Hi, Phil,

You have two 1/72 AWACS kits to choose from.

1. Heller 1/72 E-3A AWACS Kit #80306 with markings for NATO * OTAN aircraft LX-N 90449 with TF-33 engines in standard livery

2. Heller 1/72 E-3F/E-3B AWACS Kit #80383 with three choices of markings:

a. French E-3F aircraft 36-CA with CFM-56 engines

b. USAF E-3B aircraft 00139 with TF-33 engines

c. NATO E-3B aircraft LX-N 90449 with TF-33 engines and special 50th anniversary NATO markings

Then you will also want Eduard P/E #72 312 set for the Heller kit.

Best of luck in finding these after many years out of issue.

Ed

FWIW, there is also Airfix 1/72 AWACS E-3D Sentry Kit #12009 with two choices of markings:

a. French E-3F aircraft 36-CA with CFM-56 engines (as above in Kit #80383)

b. RAF E-3D Sentry Mk. I of 8 Squadron RAF Waddington 1991 with CFM-56 engines

NOTES: This kit also contains TF-33 engines. With a Flightpath Detail Set #FLP72104D ($40 from Sprue Brothers) you can convert this aircraft into a Boeing E-6 Mercury.

Ed,

I have two of the Airfix kits, an AMT KC-135A and also have the E-6 conversion set.

Thinking I might sell one of the E-3s and the E-6 conversion, use the TF-33 engines on the AWACS to do a NATO bird, probably with those decals from Heller E-3A set if I can find someone who wants to trade.

Then will probably use the CFM-56 engines on the KC to make one currently flown by the Utah ANG since I just saw a set of decals released with those markings.

Course then I have to find a display case big enough for them, a couple B-52s, Nimrod, Vulcan, Victor, etc. Oh, and a good deal on a Bear.

Edited by philp