#25 Race Team outside pics...3-15-18

GaryDavis

Here's the start of the #25 Sprintcar. The Body is from OVAL TRACK LEGENDS ( Gary Doucette). I've removed a lot of the molded on detail as I want to make this car from a different year. There still needs to be a little more work done on it...but it's getting close. The windshield pattern is in mockup for a look at the right height and shape. I just finished grooving the rear wheels and these are the masters for future builds. The Fronts are going to be the master also. I'm still on the fence about closing the cockpit off with the leather snap-on cover ooorrr..leave it open and detail it. It will have an OFFY engine(or a representation of one...it's basically a curbside). Here are a few pics of the mockup of progress to this point...thanks for looking in folks....

2v2uSNi2dxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uSNkzqxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uSrKmGxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uSNioFxbQd4s.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

This one is going on the trailer with the Camper /Truck build I posted on here. Not going to weather this one...

Here's one that I did a few yrs back that's weathered...just finished Hot Lap'in...pretty wet track..

2vztrQPrxbQd4s.jpg

2vztrZqdxbQd4s.jpg

2vztrZygxbQd4s.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis
  • Like 1

I've got a little more accomplished on the interior. The I/O box has been cut off of the block and a mount was made to go onto the firewall. The firewall had to be ground down to be somewhat smooth and square( some what).The seat bottom was also work on to get it into the right shape. Material was added to the bottom of it to raise it. Here are a few pics for a look...
The pan with seat bottom showing..
2v2uVw8j8xbQd4s.jpg

2v2uVw8MFxbQd4s.jpg

I/O box...the mount...and in place..
2v2uVwM25xbQd4s.jpg

2v2uVwMoyxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uVw8rjxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uVw85NxbQd4s.jpg

Here's an update. quite a bit of the inside of the body had to be removed in order to get somewhat of a level area to place a backing plate( head) for the intake tubes. All is in mockup....

2v2uh19CyxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uhK8NGxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uhK85WxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uhK8dLxbQd4s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a progress update. The mounting brackets for the front axle and the shock/nerfbar bar has been fabbed. I still have to do a smidgen of body putty and that will be ready for primer. It's starting to look like the idea I am shooting for. Here's a few pics of the front end...

2v2uLyKcoxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uLyKQrxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uLyK1MxbQd4s.jpg

Here's a small update...the nerf bars are in mock up and the roll bar body mounts are setting up for tomorrow...Her's a few pics to look at the progress..

2v2uWKutSxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uWKuDTxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uWKuCWxbQd4s.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and looking in folks.....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a progress update....the Roll bar and support has been Fabbed and is in mock up. When the joint dries on the support bar...I'll make the rear shock mounts for both sides. The torsion bar tubes still need to be fabbed and added to the body. Those(both sides) and the side nerf bars will be done then. Here's a few pics to look at. To me it's starting to give off that cool feeling when looking at these bad boys in the pits...ya know?? LOL Thanks for looking in...

2v2uqHNnqxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uqHNLNxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uqHNTqxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uqHNiNxbQd4s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE...

I've got the front and rear suspension fabbed along with the dash and steering unit. This puppy is almost ready for final sanding and then off to primer and paint...Here's a few pics of the suspension...thanks for stopping in and looking....

2v2uFjLrNxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uFjL52xbQd4s.jpg

2v2uFjLdzxbQd4s.jpg

2v2uFjLFMxbQd4s.jpg

Hey Gary

Treehugger Dave here.

Yeah I'm still around, mostly under the radar.

I like what your doing here. I'll have to keep checkin' in and see what your up to.

Hope life is good.

All the best,

Dave

Edited by EstreetCruiser

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the first color of paint on shots. I some how missed a few little imperfections at the primer stage that really showed themselves in the Met. Silver stage... Soooo...had to do a little sanding and added more putty for the final fix( I hope). Waiting for the body to dry(washed it) and then I'll reprime the touch up area and then shoot more Met. Silver on it. Then I'll tape off and shoot the Poppy Red. All of the other putty areas did good Here's a few pics of the work that was done.

2v2u8Z3ZdxbQd4s.jpg

2v2u8Z3QyxbQd4s.jpg

2v2u8Z3b5xbQd4s.jpg

ALL of the detail painting painting is finished along with ALL the re-chroming of the Nerf bars and suspension parts. Thanks for looking in folks...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a paint update...got the second color on this past few days. I decided to go with a darker red( Chrysler Clariet Red) instead of the Poppy Red. It still needs to be rub out and the separation stripes put on but....it's starting to get to the finish. I'm still working with the new molds for the tires. I'm trying a new RTV and there's a little learning curve. Getting there though. Here's a few pics of the paint...Thanks for looking in and commenting....

2v2J9aMG5xbQd4s.jpg

2v2J9aMnNxbQd4s.jpg

2v2J96EvgxbQd4s.jpg

2v2J96E3LxbQd4s.jpg

2v2J96E2CxbQd4s.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Decals are on ( second time around for the rear #s). I'll let them set and snuggle in over night as I use Walthers Solvaset. After applying it...It really wrinkles the decal up annnnd that's not a good time to play with the decal. It sure works good though. Makes the decal look like it's painted on. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this puppy up by tomorrow and post finished pics. But...here's a few pics of the finished tires and wheels.
2v2JEYJqDxbQd4s.jpg

2v2JEYJF4xbQd4s.jpg

This Project is finished. Now...It's off to build the trailer... Thanks to ALL who has stopped in and commented on this build. Here's a few pics of the #25 Anniversary Special Sprintcar....

2v2JEnt8WxbQd4s.jpg

2v2JEnt5hxbQd4s.jpg

2v2JEntyVxbQd4s.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

• Like 1

This build is complete. Here are a few finished pics of it all. It's raining out (go figure) so inside shots will have to do for now. Thanks for stopping in and looking around.  

The finished trailer...
photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Car loaded on the trailer...

photo1-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

Hocked up ready for the road...
photo4-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, Gary,

Once again you have knocked my socks off with an outstanding build.  I do not have your knowledge of the mechanics of a sprint car, so I have been watching your progress reports with great interest.  I can relate more to the 1972 Chevy pickup because I am currently working on the 1972 Chevy Blazer cousin.  Your painting on the entire project is amazing.

Ed

Hey Ed..thank you for the compliment...

Thanks Robin...That was the idea that I wanted to bring together. A race team that ran the Western Regional circuit.