Hello from Wallburg, NC

bb62vet

I've been a ship modeler since the early 1950s. I normally post on The Ship Model Forum as well as ModelShipWorld (occasionally). I enrolled mainly to see what others are doing and their techniques, etc.

My current (2012 - ) build is a 1:200 kit bash of Trumpeter's MISSOURI kit into the 1967-69 Configuration of USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) - My last duty station. I've got a couple others in the queue so my plate is covered up!

I find the forums are good sources for unknown parts, services, and techniques - the internet has been a great gift to modelers of all types.

Welcome Hank! Glad to have you here with us. Your New Jersey sounds interesting. Perhaps you could post a few pics and a bit about the differences you're having to model for the conversion.

Make yourself at home and have fun!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Gil,

Thanks for the welcome.

To be honest, building an IOWA class bb is not a simple affair. To be accurate in representation it takes research, time, patience, and I've found that in the 5 years I've been working on this model (yea, I'm not in a rush!) I'm still finding new items to research that had not yet presented themselves. Having served on BIG JAY 68-69 was a big help, but my scarce photos and cruise books were really not anywhere sufficient to provide me the correct info/drawings, etc. to do it right. While from 1st glance the ship doesn't seem to have many alterations from her Korean War config., that's a misnomer. I, as a professional 2d Facilities CAD designer/draftsman (the corp. titles me an "engineer" :smiley13: ), I have drawn up quite a number of CAD drawings in order to create parts needed that aren't available and also have designed 3 sheets of PE that none of the 3rd party vendors have available (my 3rd sheet is awaiting printing). So, bearing all this in mind, I am just now getting the main deck equipment in place. I'll stop the dissertation here, because I could write a book (fairy tale? :smiley5: ) on everything that's had to be modified in the kit to get to this point. One other thing - I built this model Top Down - i.e. the superstructure first because it took a couple of years to decide how to try to correct the misshaped hull - Trumpeter seems to have made a career of hulls that are incorrect in their ship model line.

These photos were taken at various stages and the 3rd and 4th photos are a mock-up of the model to take to a meeting of the Carolina Ship Modelers a year or so ago at their Dec. meeting in Beaufort, NC:

post-3329-0-95564900-1507984158_thumb.jpg

post-3329-0-63502200-1507984159_thumb.jpg

post-3329-0-74280700-1507984170_thumb.jpg

post-3329-0-84590800-1507984183_thumb.jpg

I post a build of this kit on The Ship Model Forum so that's where you can find "the rest of the story".

Hank

Please excuse my photography - that's also a work in progress :smiley29:

Sharp looking work! Hope Eric, or one of our other web-sters here can copy these pics and your info down in the Ship topic area. I know those guys would perk up reading about the pe and parts you've developed!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil - appreciate the comments! I wish I had time to keep up w/2 or 3 forums, but still working full time leaves little time for posting in more than one locale.

Hank

Welcome Hank! I'm thrilled to see you here. Your work is outstanding! Check out the Ships Forum where another of our members is building a lit-up Nimitz-class carrier. There might be some great ideas for you in there; regardless it is a wonder to behold!

Welcome aboard Hank! And this comes from an avid old aircraft buff! Ships are in a class by themselves! Your work on the battleship looks great!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...