1/48 Martin B-10 DONE! (updated 11/22, pg.2)

ghodges

Just to whet your appetite...I've dove into the resin/vac Lone Star kit of the B-10 bomber from the 30's.....This is a decent kit, but being made back in the 90's has a lot of casting flaws that led me to put it off til now. The resin cast corrugations had to be ground off and completely replaced, and there were many pinholes and air bubbles that needed filling. The vac parts are good, but not as nice as the Koster parts I just built; requiring quite a bit more work to clean them up and "engineer" their fit. In short, it's a much more involved and difficult build than the Koster Nell, but if ya want a 1/48 B-10, it's still the only game in town!

002.jpg

003.jpg

002_2.jpg

006_2.jpg

There's a complete build topic over at Agapemodels.com if you want to follow more closely. More pics when I make some more significant progress. Questions, critiques, and comments welcome, as always!

GIL :smiley16:

GIL

Edited by ghodges

Keep up the good work, Gil!

Mark

Got a lot of wing work done this afternoon....

001.jpg

More involved here than meets the eye due to older molding techniques (it ain't no Koster vac!), but generally just more elbow grease than I'd thought would be needed.

• Like 1

Interior parts painted and installed....

001_3.jpg

008.jpg

I also cut out the openings on the nacelles for the engine instruments and made the instrument clusters, which can be installed towards the end of the build...

001_4.jpg

Sanding the fuselage and adding the new corrugations is next up!

I knew if I waited long enough the corrugations would be brought up. Want to see how you handle those, not for any particular reason either.

Great job so far!

Bill

The fuselage has been sanded, strip plastic used to add the fuselage trim and canopy railings, and more 1.5mm tape applied to make the new upper fuselage corrugations, as I did on the bottom earlier..

003_4.jpg

As for adding those around the leading edges of the wings....no problemo....IF I choose to do so! But, I think it was smooth there and not like the Devastator wing.

Almost ready to start adding the flying surfaces!

Edited by ghodges

Looks like your right, it was smooth. In this photo it even looks like the wings themselves are smooth, at least on the bottom.

Martin_YB-10_NMUSAF_GVG.jpg

And praise the Lord for his small mercies! :smiley20: It's not like there's not enough work elsewhere on this kit..... <_<

On oddity on the USAF Museum bird is it's lack of canards seen on most B-10s just above the wing root between the fuselage and the nacelles. I plan to add those, as I'm copying this 1/32 scratchbuilt one that Bill Bosworth built:

IMG_20171019_0001.jpg

Kind words Duke, but it's simply a matter of using some techniques required to make up for vac and resin kit problems, and not anything particularly difficult or even advanced.

Got the gear retraction tracks added to the wings, as well as the leading edge landing light housings. I also drilled and reamed the holes for the wing tip lights. All the lights will be MV lenses that fit the holes.

100_7507.jpg

Getting close to time to add the wings to the fuselage!

Made the "canards" for each wing...

002_5.jpg

And worked on all these little parts.....

004_3.jpg

Lots of "tedious" work, drilling, sanding, polishing, and getting them all ready to be added to the model. The tires and tail wheel were grabbed from the spares box. 4-5hrs worth of work; but progress is progress, and it's stuff that had to be done. Cheers!

Edited by ghodges

Keep it coming Gil. Great work. I like how you come up with ways to tackle the various problems of these different kits.

I know you say it's basic skills but it takes a certain person that can take those skills to a little different level.

Bill

What Bill said about taking those skills to a new level. This spectacular paint job shows that. You made painting a difficult color like yellow look simple and painless, yet I could never in a lifetime of effort do such a smooth, even and clean paint job with that color or even white.

Brilliant work Gil! Keep it coming.

I've had very good luck using MM gloss paints thinned with lacquer thinner. I used MM Chrome Yellow and MM True Blue.

I've found the yellow works best when applied over white, and Tamiya Fine White primer does a good job as an undercoat for yellow or gloss white. Since there was yellow over spray on the fuselage, after the yellow was all masked off, I primed the fuselage and nacelles with Alclad Aluminum, which served as a brighter base for the True Blue.