AMT 1/48 Grumman F9F PANTHER (What's In The Box) #39

spiralcity

I just finnished a new open box video on the old AMT Grumman F9F Panther. It's a fairly sparse kit but with a little doctoring you can make the Trumpeter AM parts work. I wouldnt dish out a lot of cash for one of these old AMT kits, they truley are not worth the 25.00 or higher prices I hacve seen on these old kits. If you can grab one for a few bucks then they are worth it.

ca0cbe0f3293bf95409b.jpg

LINK

Edited by spiralcity

Yet, I can remember when it was new it was the only game in town for a 1/48 Panther jet....the old Aurora kit was w-a-y out of production, and at least the AMT kit came with a cockpit and landing gear, even if rudimentary!

GIL :smiley16:

Speaking of F9Fs, I wonder if Aeromaster or another decal company might come out with a set of decals for Navy Lt. Royce Williams Panther, whose epic dogfight with seven MiG-15s took place on 18 November 1952 with VF-781. Williams was attached to the USS Oriskany. Williams was later credited with four of them many years after the Korean War ended in 1953.

Source: F9F Panther Units of The Korean War, Osprey Combat Aircraft #103.

Mark

Is there anything special about his markings, like kill marks or mission markings? The vast majority of Navy aircraft had very plain markings that you can come up with from the spares box or other various sources.

Gil :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

Round 2 Models has re-released this kit complete with new decals and original box art work. See a complete review here: http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/f9f-2-panther

Thanks for posting the link. The Round 2 release doesn't look much different if at all from the original parts. The kit is molded in blue and not white and decals may be different. I guess it's nice to have the option to grab a new kit instead of a used kit, but at 26.00 new? I'm not tempted to buy one.