The Duke's Latest Automobile.

Along with the other models I finished, I have this one. It was a military designated vehicle, but since it is not camouflaged or anything and was used by a civilian, I'm showcasing this car here.

This is the Roden 1/72 scale Vauxhall D staff car. I built this as the mount used by King Charles to tour the front during WWI:

Vauxhall_D_Car_I.jpg

Vauxhall_D_Car_II.jpg

This was a tough little kit to build; the parts are molded so thin that they broke easily if handled wrong. It had a devil of a time getting this to sit straight and/or line up. The front wheels are super sensitive, you look at them wrong and they fall off! That's how delicate the axles are molded. This does build into a fantastic looking little model though, I'm thrilled to have this in my collection.

I did add a bit of road dust to this but for the most part, I kept it as clean as possible. I'm happy with this one. Now to get the Vauxhall ambulance!

That's all for this one, feel free to check out my latest aircraft and armor as well.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
30 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Thanks Joe! The parts count was somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 parts. I had fun with this, except when I was breaking delicate parts! LOL!

I hear ya. That's a pretty big parts count for such a small scale. I built a 1/72 scale Willy's Jeep when I was a kid and couldn't believe the parts count on that thing. I can't remember exactly how many parts there were but it was crazy.

I agree. It was surprising to me as well. What bothered me more was that so many parts were so delicate that they broke apart when I tried removing them from the sprue. A lot of those parts could have benefited from being molded onto other, stronger parts. Roden is famous for that kind of thing. Still, they do build into lovely models and Roden does do models that most other companies don't go near. Can anyone say German WWII Buses? LOL!😉

4 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

I agree. It was surprising to me as well. What bothered me more was that so many parts were so delicate that they broke apart when I tried removing them from the sprue. A lot of those parts could have benefited from being molded onto other, stronger parts. Roden is famous for that kind of thing. Still, they do build into lovely models and Roden does do models that most other companies don't go near. Can anyone say German WWII Buses? LOL!😉

LOL!!! You should try building Tamiya's 1/48 scale BMW R75 w/ sidecar model. Man that thing looks solid and the wheel spokes are more to scale on it. Beautiful kit. I built the Bandai version of the R75 before the Tamiya version came out and it's nowhere NEAR the quality of the Tamiya kit.

Edited by mustang1989

Yeah, I'd heard about that. I did build a 1/72 scale BMW with sidecar. It also had a fairly high parts count; around 20-25. Can't say the spokes were scale, but they do look good; and the steering column turns!

I'm almost finished with the Vauxhall ambulance that has the same chassis and front end as this car.

19 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Yeah, I'd heard about that. I did build a 1/72 scale BMW with sidecar. It also had a fairly high parts count; around 20-25. Can't say the spokes were scale, but they do look good; and the steering column turns!

I'm almost finished with the Vauxhall ambulance that has the same chassis and front end as this car.

That's the one that you're building over at SPAM right? A 1/72nd scale BMW R75????? Wow!!

Edited by mustang1989

No, I haven't started any BMW's over there. I was referring to a couple I'd built some years ago. Right now on SPAM, I'm working on the same things I have posted in my Manufacturing thread on here. I managed to get a lot done so far; I just have to get it posted.