Anybody ever seen one of these?

I found this Ford demo model in my late father-in-law's storage locker. Anyone ever seen one of these and have any idea of what it would be worth to a collector? It's made of plastic and has a lot of descriptions written on the underside. I think it's a promo model handed out by dealerships as a premium to favored clients, etc. but can't say for sure as I've never seen one of these in the wild. Any help appreciated!

post-307-0-08509200-1505680113_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-10767700-1505680114_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-19073500-1505680115_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-90800800-1505680116_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-09531800-1505680118_thumb.jpg

It looks like it's in great shape. I would suggest emailng Ford Motor Co. directly and ask exactly for the proper nomenclature) for these "sales samples". That could go a long way to you getting the information you need to determine its' value.

Just a suggestion.

When I was building cars in the early 60's, I remember these promo car models. I do not recall where I got them. I always wondered if these were assembled from the same parts in the AMT and SMP kits or were they entirely different moldings? Anyone have any more info about these? I think they may have been molded in heavier plastic.

Edited by Nick Filippone

Dennis, this is what is typically referred as "promo" models. They were sold at the dealers and on display in smaller dealerships to show models that the dealer may not have in their inventory. To the right buyer, they can fetch a pretty significant amount of money. Yours looks to be pristine in the box which makes it very rare! Want to see some heads explode? Go over to Model Car Magazine forum and post those pics. Guaranteed you will have people falling all over themselves to buy it.

Edited by PeteJ

... then let us know how they reacted.

I do remember seeing them in the late 70s as our club up in Grand Rapids, MI had a multi-week display at the local museum and someone brought in a bunch of those for display

There is a whole collectors market for those. I use to have a Thunderbird from somewhere. My Dad only bought GM cars, so I have no idea where it came from. Wish I had it now. I think it might have succumbed to firecrackeritis.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll head over to the MCM forums and post it there. Will let you know what I find out.

dt