Hotel Reservations

The hotel reservations will go live on 30 September. The hotel is the Hyatt Regency Phoenix. Room rates will be $135 for one or two people. No reason for panic. Our room block is sufficiently large that you should be fine, so long as we don't have too many people booking five rooms "just in case." Thanks, and we'll see you in August!

Steve Collins

2018 National Convention Chairman

• Like 1

The hotel didn't do it, we did it in conjunction with the hotel, after a discussion with their management. After all, they have a lot more experience with hotel reservation trends than we do. The longer it goes, the more people get tempted to use a third-party reservation service to secure rooms. Problem with that is we don't get credit for the room nights and they don't get the convention rate. So, we set the date sufficiently far out for us to let everyone know, as we said we would. Thanks for the question, Nick. Hope to see you in August.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

This is just a quick note to remind you that the room reservations system for the 2018 IPMS/USA National Convention goes live tomorrow, September 30, 2017.

To reserve your room, visit our website (www.ipmsusanationals2018.org) and go to the Accommodations Page. A link to the Downtown Hyatt Regency will take you directly to the reservation page the Hyatt has set up for our convention, so no need for discount codes or secret handshakes.

The room rate is $135 per night for up to two people, and the rate is good from July 29th through August 7th, 2018.

If you have any questions, please contact us via email at info@ipmsnationals2018.org, or our Facebook page, or post a question here on the forums.

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend.

We'll see you in Phoenix!

Edited by AZRhino

Ditto what Nick said. Smooth n easy. See yuz Guyz next August. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue. :smiley20:

Not sure I'll be able to go since I have TWO weddings to attend (one over seas) next summer, but still hope to. Call me old fashioned, but made my reservation by phone. Took the girl a moment to connect "IPMSUSA" with "plastic modelers"; but after that; no problems!

By the way, for anyone else interested, the Phoenix Hyatt Regency phone number is: 602-252-1234. Choose option 1 on the menu to make a new reservation. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I am wondering if there is a plan in place to make cancelled reservations available to folks who were not able for one reason or another to make one soon enough to get into the convention hotel. I have my reservation and will be there in Phoenix, so this isn't about me. Over the past 5+ years, I've noticed the hotel room block sells out quickly once it is open to the membership (or anyone else planning to attend). Then as the date gets closer to the convention, a number of people, for any and all reasons, are unable to attend and cancel their reservation. Perhaps the convention folks can work a deal with the hotel and IPMS/USA to make these reservations available for up to 1-2 weeks prior to the start. Many times hotels are reluctant to allow this to happen. I don't know if this is feasible but might it be possible ?

Regards,

Mark

Last year, I made my hotel reservation for Omaha early with every intention of going. However, my wife surprised me with a trip to Oshkosh as my Christmas present. ( Actually, I ended up paying for most of it, but that is a story for a different day.) I therefore contacted the hotel and transferred the reservation to my friends name. The only other info they required was his credit card number. It was very easily done. if the Hyatt Regency in Phoenix was agreeable to this, could IPMS perhaps create a list of people looking for a room in the block and somehow make that list available when someone has to cancel? I admit that my switch was before the block deadline. But if the hotel would go along, there would be fewer disappointed convention goers and a better chance of filling the block. Dos his sound crazy? I certainly am not looking to create more work for an already very busy National Convention Staff! Perhaps a member could act as a clearing house for the process. I could, for example, accumulate and create a list of the names of those looking for a room. When someone has to cancel their reservation, they could e-mail me and I could give them the e-mail address of the person at the top of the list and let them work it out between themselves and with the hotel- assuming the hotel,was willing. Of course, the members might have to be willing to share info, possibly even credit card info. Hmmmmm!!! Nick P.S. Oshkosh was amazing! If you are an airplane junkie like me, it is the only thing worth missing the Nationals for.

Edited by Nick Filippone

Hi Steve, Is there an email address I can contact you with. I can't seem to find one on your national contest site. Mine is skiphas@comcast.net

Thanks,

Skip Hassler

IPMS # 5501

Mark and Nick,

I'll talk to the hotel people. They've been very helpful so far. I'm pretty sure that, if someone decides not to go and just cancels their reservation after the cutoff date, it will be a loss to us, but they're agreeable to letting people take over others' reservations. I'll see about setting up some sort of exchange so people can post the availability of a reservation and swap it with someone.

Steve

Steve, Thanks. Doing the actual room swap through the hotel would seem to be the best option. You folks in Phoenix are right on top of everything. I am really looking forward to this National. In an entirely different vein, I wou!d like to mention that the Diamondbacks are home in Phoenix that weekend starting Thursday evening. The field is walking distance from the host hotel. Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Collins, I just made my reservations online with no problems. In past years, I have been "late to the party" and have asked the hotel (by phone) if they have a waiting list for the event. Some did, others didn't. You might want to keep this in mind. I suspect it will be FAR easier for the Hotel to keep this list than the host chapter.

Booked mine also but might need to modify and get the Tuesday as well. Will probably stop in Vegas on the way down but don't want to get up too early to finish the drive so we shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike,

Good suggestion. I'll bring that up to the hotel contact. Phil, it's about 4 - 4 1/2 hours from Vegas to Phoenix, depending on time of day, for your planning purposes. Nick, yes, I saw that. Looks like I'll have to find someone to take my Saturday tickets. My luck it'll be a bobblehead day (yes, I collect the damned things).

Steve