Alclad And Decals

OK. Just to bring everyone up to date. I painted the Alclad over my still slightly tacky black alclad primer. The Alclad dried very hard and smooth.

Shooting_Star.jpg

Now I am ready for the next step - applying decals. I would suppose that you can apply decals directly over the Alclad but I want to be sure. On a normal model, I would apply a coat of Future to make sure that the clear parts of decals disappear. I would think that the surface of the Alclad would also make the transparent decal areas disappear but I have seem problems on other NMF models.

So the basic question is; Can I apply decals directly over Alclad or do I need to apply a coat of Future to make sure that the transparent areas disappear and/or do not change the tone of the Alclad.

I've had better luck with decals directly over Alaclad than over any other NMF! You should have no problems....just go easy with the decal solvents (as on any other nmf). By the way, I'm about to see how SNJ powder does on top of Alclad aluminum (the fuselage of a P-51D). Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I've had better luck with decals directly over Alaclad than over any other NMF! You should have no problems....just go easy with the decal solvents (as on any other nmf). By the way, I'm about to see how SNJ powder does on top of Alclad aluminum (the fuselage of a P-51D). Cheers!

Gil, Gil, Gil, :rolleyes:

I love SNJ powder but you have to be a little careful. The reason that I asked the question in the first place is that I tried a similar approach with an SNJ finished model, complete with powder. I expected the transparent decal to disappear but it didn't.

I-400.jpg

Interesting Clare! I've never had that happen. Did you apply anything to the finish after decaling? In my experience, if you do that then the finish changes slightly everywhere EXCEPT under the decal, making the NMF behind the decal look different than the rest of the model; which at a glance looks like silvering, or that the "clear" didn't disappear. I've got the SNJ on my Mustang, so I'll go take some pics and start another topic soon! Cheers!

Interesting Clare! I've never had that happen. Did you apply anything to the finish after decaling?

No, I used the old SNJ paints and then added SNJ powder over the top. I buffed it to a pretty good shine. The decal was applied over the top.

You have given me an interesting comment, however, I will add a coat of Future over the top to see if it changes the tone to the one under the decal.