Converting a M113 to a M113A2

TimDarrah

Hey guys,

I want to convert the new AFV Club M113 ACAV into a M113A2 based in Germany in the early 1980's, in time for the AMPS/Atlanta show in February. I plan on doing it in the DUALTEX scheme.

From what I have learned so far, exterior wise as it'll be closed top, the A1 & A2 had diesel engines, and the A2 had a different location for both the engine fan & radiator. The A2 also had a higher ground clearance.

So my questions are:

1) are those the only differences? I won't be using the external armored fuel tanks

2) would the cooling fins on top be different on the A2 as opposed to the basic M113?

3) how much higher was the A2 ground clearance?

Thanks,

Tim

The external fuel cells was a Canadian M113A2 feature and not added to the US version of the M113A2 except for the M981 FIST-V version. The internal fuel tank was larger on the M113A2 than the M113. The early 113 had a fixed internal fuel tank whereas the A2 had one that was strapped in and designed for easier removal for maintenance.

The exhaust pipe was different. It went from just an elbow to a diesel engine style with a hinged flap.

If my the "cooling fins" you mean the engine intake grills, I don't know if the original M113 had them, but the grills stayed the same except that a smaller mesh was spot welded to the intake grills to prevent leaves and debris from entering the engine compartment. So they look different.

Here is a photo of the grills on an M113A3, but is similar to an A2. Notice the engine air intake grill has a finer mesh than the cooling intake.

aal.jpg

Rob,

Thanks for the info. That photo will really help convert the AFV Club kit when I get it.

Tim