Clear-Fix Decals, how?

Ron Bell

I've got a kit with what the manufacturer calls "Clear-Fix Decals". The instructions are to cut the decal out of the sheet and position it tacky side down where you want it. Then moisten the carrier sheet and it slides off. Clear as mud, right? There is no tacky side first off, so you can't stick it anywhere. They are pretty unique markings so I'd hate to have to replace them. Anyone have any experience with these?

I'll give a hazy yes......

Seems like I had a set of German markings like that many, many years ago. They (and the instruction's implication) impressed me as being a combination of a dry transfer/wet transfer decal.

I believe the idea is to position it like you would a dry transfer, with the marking in direct contact with the surface and the paper side up. While it may say "tacky side down", as I recall there wasn't much tack; though I don't know if that's due to poor quality control or perhaps the dissipation of the adhesive over time. In any case, once you have it EXACTLY where you want it, you wet the paper to release it from the sheet instead of "rubbing" it on.

I think this was supposed to (hopefully) be a new technology as these markings don't have clear film connecting them together and that meant you wouldn't need a gloss coat and silvering wouldn't be a worry. They never caught on for the same reason as dry transfers have never been the "answer" to decaling: you HAVE to get their position PERFECT first time around, as they cannot be moved and repositioned.

Does that make any sense? Like I said...that's the hazy memory I have of them.....

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges