US Army Vietnam Helo Colors ?

TimDarrah

I'm working on the 1/72nd Italeri OH-6A for an upcoming group project, and the research I have so far says they were painted FS 34087 Olive Drab, but the Model Master paint I have looks too light as opposed to the images I have seen of the helos used. So it just doesn't look right. The images in photos & video show them a bit darker - I know the imagery from back then wasn't as good as it is now. See the attachment if you wish as this is my main reference.

Might anyone else have an idea on what color I should use?

Thanks,

Tim

Actually, there's a color called "Army Helo Drab" that's 34031. Perhaps that's the proper green you're looking for? Model Master makes this color (or did), and HATAKA sells a "helicopter paint set" that includes it, as well as another Army drab and the desert green/brown paints.

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+Army+helo+drab&tbm=isch&imgil=ZNIYRycwfB0muM%253A%253BSdy55mTs345KWM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fhataka-hobby.com%25252Fproducts%25252Fus-army-helicopters-paint-set%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=ZNIYRycwfB0muM%253A%252CSdy55mTs345KWM%252C_&usg=__ju8aWs_RTr7_ATpwQFYHzdoXT9E%3D&biw=1576&bih=756&ved=0ahUKEwi3_97R7bnVAhUHWSYKHX_zCz4QyjcIMQ&ei=xHSCWbeNEIeymQH_5q_wAw#imgrc=_

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

Thanks. I know about, & have, the US Army Helo Drab, that might work, but I know that it is the modern helo color, not one for a Loach from 1970. I haven't had any luck with HATAKA paint, their British WW2 AFV colors are way off, so I'm very reluctant to try them again.

Tim

Whenever I've used MM Olive Drab spray or bottle, it appears to darken significantly over time, compared to how it looks in the jar. Have seen this happen on various subjects and always feel the need to lighten it for weathering, etc. Have got a few Vietnam helos in the queue and my plan for them is to use this paint straight-up with no lightening/fading effects.

YMMV

Hi Tim,

Everything I have shows 34087 for them. Some pictures I have look too dark also for that, but they also look like a glossy paint job on those instead of flat. It maybe just the reflection of a gloss scheme on those pics off yours.

Bill

I think Olive Drab changes a lot depending on how flat the finish is. The CH-37's in my guard unit in the late 60's were transitioning to a flat finish from a glossy OD. Also the glossy finishes did not fade anything like a flat finish. Here is a CH-37 in the older finish, and then another after repainting in probably 34087.

2637.jpg

3237.jpg

I have used Vallejo Model Air 71.043 US Olive Drab FS 34087, just like every reference suggests, and giess what? It works!!