Fujimi 1/700 HMS Eagle

Ron Bell

This kit comes with markings for either the Arc Royal or the Eagle. I added the Loren Perry British Carriers PE set. The flight deck comes split in two in a way that with different parts would enable you to build the ship without the angle deck, with the slight angle this one has or with the complete larger angled deck, all of which the ship had from various re-fits. You don't get those parts, however, so you're stuck with this configuration. The single biggest challenge was this deck. To hide that seam necessitated filling and sanding over and over to get a smooth surface. In addition, the forward elevator is supplied to be in either the raised or lowered position. I wanted a closed deck, so I had to glue the elevator in the up position, which created a seam that needed similar attention. The arrestor wires are molded into the deck, so they were removed when the deck was sanded, but they are also supplied as decals, so that worked out just fine. The ship is painted as the instructions said, but since they were all in Japanese, my working out the colors may not have been 100% spot on. The aircraft come molded clear and are nicely done for this scale. They give you Seafires, Seafuries, Gannets and Wessexes (Wessexi?). Unfortunately, the first two never served on this ship and the Wessex only served in the HAS 3 version, not the one supplied. So, other than the Gannets, none of the a/c should really be used. However, I thought the deck looked a bit bare, so I fudged a bit and added the Wessexes.

35322908854_15642d2764_c.jpgDSCN4687 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

36028824111_77fa97c598_c.jpgDSCN4691 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

35322913784_801747bc75_c.jpgDSCN4692 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

35994178522_15f2e5801d_c.jpgDSCN4693 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

36028830361_3a2430909b_c.jpgDSCN4694 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

36028826931_bd42407043_c.jpgDSCN4695 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

35322920594_96ccb1e46a_c.jpgDSCN4696 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

Lovely looking carrier Ron. I'd have never guessed that the deck didn't come in one piece if you hadn't mentioned all of the work it took to get it to look so seamless. Congrats!

GIL

Great looking boat Ron. It always seems the air wings are just a hodge-podge of whatever is out there.

The helos add some nice color.

Bill

Looks Great Ron,

Nice to see some models of the Senior Service :)

With regards the two part Flight deck, The Ark Royal has the other part as her deck was slightly different, that is the only difference between the two kits if I remember correctly....

The Helo's are fine as the Eagle and Ark both carried the HAS.1 and 3, both together in later years, The HAS.I acting as plane guard and the HAS.3 was ASW.

If you would like to add aircraft, check out shapeways.com they have lots of aircraft in all scales, especially 1/700, designers also take requests.

John