1/72 Heller Hawker Tempest V

Ron Bell

Heller's 1/72 scale kits from "back in the day" are actually quite nice. They have adequate detail and fit well. Of course at this point in time some of the decals have yellow or cracked, but they are easily replaced. Plus, Heller did a lot of subjects that other companies shied away from. If you want a break from high priced super detailed kits that give you ulcers, try one. Here's their Tempest V done OOTB

35479084270_2d44e10e9b_c.jpgDSCN4673 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

35826301276_d53e386a21_c.jpgDSCN4674 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

35826304426_56f4281a85_c.jpgDSCN4675 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

35479085200_cde3935081_c.jpgDSCN4676 by Ronald Bell, on Flickr

• Like 1

Very nice job. "Back in the day", I remember getting a few Heller kits and thinking they were leagues ahead of the regular 1/72 aircraft kits. One of my favorites was a Bf-109 that came with underwing gun pods, bombs and parts to make various versions. I used every available part on the kit and it probably would be able to lift off with all the junk I put on it.

I had to search for it, but one of my first "prized" aircraft builds was a Morane Saulnier https://www.scalemates.com/kits/154611-heller-216-morane-saulnier-ms-225

Another one I liked so much that I built twice was the F-84 Thunderjet. It's one of the kits I used extra decals to make it USAF.

Terrific looking Tempest! I've always thought that the camo with the D-Day stripes is one of the more rockin' schemes. By the way, have you yet to apply the landing lights in the holes under the wings, or are they there and THAT clear?

GIL :smiley16:

Actually, to be honest, I forgot them. The kit parts needed to be added from the inside before the wings were assembled, but that would have necessitated masking, so I decided to just use Krystal Kleer or some such. This was a "while you're just sitting there waiting for the paint to dry on your main project' build and in the switch back and forth I just forgot them. I'll get around to adding them at some point. Next time, I'll just mask them and avoid the heartburn later.

See you in a few days.

• Like 1