Looking for SAC Marking Regulations/Specifications

SkyKing

I know that major USAF commands have/had their own marking specs apart from those contained in T.O. 1-1-4. Does anyone have a copy of those of Strategic Air Command? Specifically I'm looking for colors and dimensions of the SAC Band and insignia which appeared on the nose of that command's aircraft. Thanks in advance.

I was hoping someone would pop on here to supply some actual technical data, but I guess not....

For what it's worth, the decals supplied for my 1/48 B-47 have SAC sashes that are 1/2" wide, making them a scale 2ft in width. The length varied according to aircraft type and where it was placed on the plane. The SAC badge (usually left side) and the Group or Squadron badge (usually on the right side) might be applied directly over the sash, or there might be a gap in the sash where the badge was placed. I can't say as to the number of stars, but they appear to be all the same size, and randomly applied in space and orientation.

One good reference showing several different types of a/c with SAC badges, as well as the SAC badge and various other badges, is Sq. Sig. Fighting Color series: "USAF in Europe, vol.2, 1947-1963". Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Thanks for that info, Gil. It finally dawned on me that there is a SAC Museum, and I have emailed the curator about this subject. Perhaps there are copies in their archives.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made a trip to the SAC Museum while at the Nats, and took some pics. I you want to look, maybe I have a pic you could use -

http://kevtk.blogspot.com/2017/08/2017-ipms-day-trip-1.html

Edited by Roktman