Any bids for 2020?

We would have taken bids if we had gotten any, but remember we're set for Phoenix in 2018 and Chattanooga in 2019. 2020 is three years out and for many clubs, that's a long way away. Memberships change as do venues and ask any past chairman how difficult it it is to hold together a volunteer committee for two years, never mind three. And that's actually four years as it takes a good year of pre-planning just to put together a bid. The three year bid cycle was adopted to allow those with the desire and ability to bid that far out to do so, which only benefits the society by locking in another convention. It's also a bit of insurance when we get a year like this with no bidder.

And on a personal note, I'm going to enjoy my day of meetings on Saturday starting a hour later as the annual business meeting will now start at 10 instead of 9 because we don't need a bid presentation session.

• 3 weeks later...

We would have taken bids if we had gotten any, but remember we're set for Phoenix in 2018 and Chattanooga in 2019. 2020 is three years out and for many clubs, that's a long way away. Memberships change as do venues and ask any past chairman how difficult it it is to hold together a volunteer committee for two years, never mind three. And that's actually four years as it takes a good year of pre-planning just to put together a bid. The three year bid cycle was adopted to allow those with the desire and ability to bid that far out to do so, which only benefits the society by locking in another convention. It's also a bit of insurance when we get a year like this with no bidder.

And on a personal note, I'm going to enjoy my day of meetings on Saturday starting a hour later as the annual business meeting will now start at 10 instead of 9 because we don't need a bid presentation session.

Where can one find info on fielding a bid? What is required etc.? I thought there would be a section on the IPMS USA site but I'm not seeing it.

At this time it's my understanding that you should contact the Eboard to get the "how to bid" paperwork. The 2nd VP is actually responsible, but that office is currently awaiting the results of the election to be filled since Mike Van Schoonhoven stepped down. Also, remember that you can bid for the 2020 OR the 2021 convention, since the Eboard will now take bids for 2 years in advance at a time.

While there were no bids this year, Ron has said that a couple of clubs have told him they're "interested" (much like you) in bidding on 2020/21. So, it looks like we may have a couple of competitive bids (hopefully) for those shows next year in Phoenix.

GIL :smiley16:

Ah, this thread scratches an itch I have in laying out long range plans for Nats. As I now understand it, we have the next two Nats confirmed -- but no bidders yet for 2020 or 2021. We hope to have bids for one or both of these years presented at the Phoenix Nats.

• 1 year later...