1/48 G3M Nell- DONE!

ghodges

Just started the Koster vac, and thought some of you might like to watch the process of building a vac kit. This is a VERY good vacuform kit (as most Koster vacs are), with resin and metal detail parts, as well as decals. The parts are crisply molded and the engineering straight forward

001.jpg

All of the parts except 2 are cut off of the backing sheet here. The only parts that have been sanded and assembled are the engine cowlings. The resin engines are just sitting in the cowlings as a test fit.

The only other thing I've done is to "shore up" the interior of a few parts where the plastic is very thin due to the depth of the part. I did this by simply pouring in a little superglue to stiffen those areas, but did NOT use accelerator in order to avoid distorting or melting it due to the heat it causes. I could have also backed those areas with epoxy putty (safer) but that takes time..... :smiley24:

More pics as she comes together!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

May have it finished in a couple of weeks, but I'm not taking anything to Omaha on the plane. Can't trust TSA!

Got some major work done....

006.jpg

The wings and tail planes are assembled...

004.jpg

The fuselage has been sanded and test fit together. The canopy has also been cut out and fit to the model. The wing spars are stuck in place to test fit the wings...

001_(2).jpg

002.jpg

This shows the major vac parts test fit together. The wings and tail planes look like they'll fit quite well!

Next up will be to fit out the interior so the fuselage can be buttoned up. More pics then!

And THAT is the kit interior, with the exception of a few pe parts I put on the boxes on the side panels. Koster vacs can actually be built "OOTB", since he provides everything a regular kit does, which is more than can be said for most vac kits!

The wings and tail planes are on now....

001_(3).jpg

002_(2).jpg

005.jpg

Fit over all was very good, with extra filler (superglue/baby powder) being used only on the upper tail plane/fuselage joint. Next up is masking and adding the canopy and then I can shoot the first coat of primer!

Great job again Gil! That has more detail in it than alot of some regular manufactured kits.

Keep up the 'how-to's for all of us chickens. I've done a few conversions in Vacuform but only 1 complete aircraft

back when I didn't know better (Nova KC-135). It came out, 'Eh" but I haven't gone back to trying something like that since.

Rock on sir!

Bill

What do you use to fasten the clear parts to the fuselage? Regular glues don't work and I'm always afraid superglue will fog the parts.

The fit was actually very good, especially at the rear and under the front, so I was able to use WeldOn#4 as an initial glue to tack it in place. I then used superlgue mixed with baby powder as a glue and filler all at once, applied with a toothpick.

One note about that mixture, it will NOT work with FAST setting/"thin"/(expensive) brand superglues. It sets up too fast! I use the CHEAP, 4 tubes for $1 (at Walmart) type of superglue, which has a regular viscosity and needs the normal 15-30 seconds to set.This allows time to mix it into a paste that can be applied and smoothed in. It also seems to not give off the fumes regular superglue does so fogging hasn't been an issue. As another plus, the mixture sands and feathers in easier than regular superglue too.

Got a little work done on the engines, making their mounting pegs, checking their fit to the wings, and test fitting the cowlings over them. I also got the props assembled. The blades and hubs were actually cast with "keys" and slots making assembly and alignment of the blades a snap. Bill Koster is quite the kit engineer, even on a low tech production such as this vac kit!

• 2 weeks later...

Gil -

I continue to be deeply impressed by your abilities as a modeler. Your B-47 was simply a masterpiece of design, construction, finish, scratch-building, and ingenuity. No doubt this Nell will be another yet another example of your exemplary skill as a modeler. Well done, Sir!

Gil,

Great job as always. I'm always impressed by your builds. Nice paint scheme so far also.

A question on this plane...Are those full span ailerons or flaps? Can they be used as flaps and/or differencial ailerons? Or is there some sort of spoiler arrangement on the wing?

Bill

I honestly don't know, and don't really have any references on this plane. Practicality would seem to make them into flaperons, being used as both flaps when landing and as ailerons in flight. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will be along soon with an answer.