Finally! New models of the M3 Lee & M3 Grant

RickCummelin

Takom just released photos (CAD?) of two new kits soon to be released: The M3 Lee (early) and the M3 Grant. You can find some initial responses to these kits on other sites, but I wanted to start a discussion here.

I've built both the ancient Tamiya M3 and the slightly better Academy M3. Considering the state of recent armor models coming out, I'm really looking forward to some up-to-date (accurate & highly detailed) kits of these two medium tanks used extensively in North Africa. Plus, I'm hoping that Takom will go a step further and release an M31 Recovery vehicle AND an M33 Prime Mover. Or, produce ONE kit that can be used to build either an M31 or M33. One or two extra sprues of parts would cover the conversions.

However, the M33 would require an interior (turret was removed) and an interior would be a great addition to any of the M3 variants, given all the hatches that could be modeled open. But, Takom isn't including interiors in these first two releases. Maybe they're just testing the market to see how popular the M3 kits will be before adding additional kits.

Lastly, I hope the Takom M3 hulls will be an easier build and assembly than the Academy kit. A cast hull M3 would also be fun.

Guess we'll just have to wait & see what's next--if anything. Anyone else looking forward to these new kits?

:army7:

• Like 1

I am. One of the fist armor models I built as a kid was the Monogram Lee so this will be a bit of a nostalgia build. Reviews of Takom kits have been hit or miss so hopefully they have the "A" team on this one!

I am looking forward to the M3 Lee, one of my favorite tanks. I always wondered why the Academy kit had so many issues since it was made fairly recently and is widely available to examine to get it right. I did get a couple of them though. This kit might make those obsolete.

SInce I just finished an Academy build of LULUBELLE, I doubt I'll feel like doing it all over again. But, who knows?

This build represents the 1995 remake of "Sahara" with Jim/James Belushi instead of Bogie in the lead role. The figures represent the entire "rag-tag crew" without the Axis folks.

LULUBELLE is not on her base yet. Soon...

post-2665-0-12845000-1498218820_thumb.jpg

Edited by RickCummelin
  • Like 1

Yep, it was that MB kit that gave me the idea--after I had seen the movie. Great figures for five of the movie characters. I had to add the British doctor figure, two British 8th Army troops & two US tank crew (for Waco & Jimmy) as there were a total of 10 Allied "crew" in or on LULUBELLE early in the movie. I simply didn't want to try to find ONE Italian soldier and ONE German pilot figure--just seemed like that would be too much.

This LULUBELLE is a reasonable representation of the movie tank (including the color), which was out of an Australian museum (the remake was filmed in Australia), but is quite different from a typical war-time Lee. Note the split hatch with the real tall .30 cal mount instead of the standard commander's cupola. Some other differences too. Actually a fun build.

Edited by RickCummelin

In hindsight, Bogie's LULUBELLE would likely be an easier build. First, no weird grey camo paint, just OD. Second, the standard cupola could be used. Third, it would be cool to have all those Thompson 50-round drums all over. Last, if you did figures, no color guide for the uniforms to bother with.

Then there's the third LULUBELLE from John Belushi's "1941" movie that could be built too.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While an M3 is nice, would prefer an M3A3 and an all plastic M31. More allowance money spent!

Yeah, but once the base kit is done, many of these companies get as much bang for the buck by releasing variations. We might see these versions at a later date.

Rob,

I used to believe that but not so much anymore. Dragon released their M2/M3 kits and have yet to release an M5/M9 series. While I love that they are releasing a butt load of IDF variants right now still no M5/M9. Since Tamiya and Academy released their M3 kits the only variants have been the Grant and Takom currently is the same. That is not to say that they won't or some will make a conversion to do so, I am just not keeping my fingers crossed. I went and purchased SOL Models M3A5 because I was unable to find the old Calibre35 M3A3 conversion. Of course the second I start making my M31B1, Takom will announce a M3A3. LOL

I know the feeling Mark. Dragon released a ton of M-4 Shermans in 1/72 scale but skipped the Jumbo and the M-50 and M-51 Shermans in the line while still offering them in 1/35th scale. So variants of certain vehicles are never guaranteed.

I will never know the reasons but as they had the base...the only thing they needed was a different set of rear walls, fenders and doors. The demand would have exceeded that of the M2/M3 series as so many other countries received these as lend lease and MAP. But that is why I am a model builder and not a model manufacturer.

Takom is one of the companies that tries to get several versions out of their molds though. Most of their armor kits have more than one variant, Chieftain, Mark IV, T-55 etc.

Tamiya on the other hand will make an awesome kit, like the Hetzer, and then let it die.

• Like 2