1/72 C-46 Build Series, Update...again!

ipmsusa2

For those who have wondered where I vanished to...particularly my client who has already been informed...and to steal a quote from a Looney Tunes cartoon, I've been sick lately. And frankly, sicker than I ever had any desire to be.

I have learned, since the first part of May, that I have severe sleep apnea...but I didn't know it. Sure I snored like mad when sleeping, would go to sleep at the drop of a hat, talked in my sleep and moved around constantly when sleeping. But I always considered that to be normal. Silly me. It wasn't!

How I learned about this, in a nutshell, started to become apparent on April 25, 2017. My wife picked my up at church and when I got in the car, I told her to take me to the E.R. What's interesting is the fact I don't remember that...or anything else for the next four or five days. As I've been able to reconstruct things, when I got to the E.R., there was essentially no oxygen to the brain. This resulted in my being intubated and medically sedated for 3 1/2 to 4 days. I got out of the hospital after 8 days. Strangely enough...and thanks to the grace of God...my brain still functioned and there has been little if any brain damage.

If you want something that keeps you humble...or that will make you humble if you haven't been...is that fact that most doctors, nurses and P.A.s that I've had contact with since waking up in the hospital keep referring to the fact that my mind still exists and functions normally as a 'miracle' and 'fortunate'. Me? I keep looking up from time to time and saying "Thank you."

There is a lot more I could tell you, but the bottom line is that the completion of all of my model commissions have been slowed way down, many of which will end up as builds on this forum and possibly as more detailed ebooks as well. How soon will they all be done and I will back on something approaching a normal schedule? I can't say but I'm working as fast as I can. The C-46 should be the first post-illness project finished, so if everyone just hangs in there, the C-46 should be done in the next couple of months at the latest.

Dang, Richard! So glad to hear you're doing better and that there'll be no lingering effects. Something like that will put your hobby into perspective pretty quickly! God bless your recovery!

GIL :smiley16:

Hi, Richard,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in October 2003. I'm on my second CPAP machine after putting over 27,000 hours on my first one. Medicare paid for it as durable medical equipment. Some people hate the mask and refuse to wear it to bed (thus negating any benefit to be had from using it), preferring instead to taking their chances with what you went through.

My advice: Wear your mask every night, like it or not. I have gotten so used to mine that I can't sleep right without it. You can sleep in almost any position except flat on your stomach. For maximum freedom of movement, bring the air hose in from directly over your head from your pillow. Trap the air hose between your pillow or the headboard with slack in the hose to the mask. Keep the CPAP on your nightstand close to your head so if you need to get up in the night you can reach over and switch it off before you wake up your wife. She will also get used to the low noise produced by the CPAP machine and sleep well with it in operation.

When I travel anywhere involving an overnight sleeping arrangement, my CPAP is my traveling companion (in the car) and my carry-on (if flying).

Best wishes for your recovery, and thanks to God for keeping you safe. Bless your wife for listening to you and getting you to the ER when you needed her help most.

Ed

Richard I also have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine. Like Ed, I can't sleep without it now. I always feels so much better and awake in the morning now. Ed gave great advice about how to sleep with it.

Also, I don't know about your area, but here in So Cal my power company actually puts me in a higher tier on my power usage by giving me a medical baseline due to the fact that a CPAP machine is considered a life saving device. This has saved us up to 60% on our power bill. Just check with your power company and see if they have a medical baseline allowance or similar program.

I thank God you are still with us. I'm looking forward to your next progress on the C-46; it is well worth the wait.