Best Stripper?

TimDarrah

OK, now that I have your attention :smiley2: .

I have a model with cured Tamiya acrylic on it and when I removed the masks, it peeled up the paint bigtime - I failed to use a primer (stooped me). So I need to strip the paint off and try it again.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks and now back to your regularly scheduled pole-dance.

Tim

Two choices. Have you tried Windex or ammonia? Or even Isopropyl Alcohol?

If they don't work, get a jug of Purple Power (it used to be Castrol Super Clean) and a plastic tub large enough to submerge the model. Fill the tub, put the model in the soup, and wait about 30 minutes. You should be able to scrub the old paint off with an old toothbrush. Rinse, let dry, and you're ready to go again.

Use gloves. This stuff is a degreaser, and will dry your skin in a second.

Once you're done, let the gunk settle, then pour the cleaner back into the jug.

Ralph

I have a trio of chemical strippers. Engine degreaser(Purple power), brake fluid and 91% alcohol. Nothing will withstand all of them and a one time bath in them will not damage plastic.

My experience is that Tamiya lacquers come off best with 91% alcohol. The first two require chemical safety equipment, as a drop in the eye or on the skin will do serious damage. They require chemical resistant rubber gloves and eye protection. The alcohol is a lot more forgiving and works well on Tamiya paints, but you need the 91% version. Home Depot alcohol isn't strong enough so a quick trip to the pharmacy is called for.

Tim,

I have used Easy Off oven cleaner in the past, once it sets for a bit and bubbles up you can almost wipe it off with a rag or old toothbrush etc. The unscented kind that they

sell won't work but the original will. It doesn't hurt the plastic but it will strip it back down to plastic no matter how may coats you have applied.