Testors discontinues even MORE Model Master enamel

SkyKing

When you look at the gradual demise of MM paints, let me throw in a slightly different perspective. Many of you know of me as a freelance writer/professional modelbuilder and therein lies a major problem. As Nick, Michael and Gil have pointed out, "comfort of familiarity" combined with ready availability are even more important when you build models as a business. If you use MM, as I do, for most of my commission work, I've learned how to get MM enamels to provide the results I need. Keep in mind that if my clients weren't satisfied with what I give them, I'd be using different paint.

The problem for me is this: I don't have time to put my commissions on hold while I spend time and money learning all the nuances of other brands, whether enamel or acrylic. As for converting to acrylics wholesale, the same comments apply in spades since I have never used acrylics and would have to start from square one.

Regardingn articles and books, the enmasse elimination of an entire category of MM enamels gives me nightmares. Consider that a reader that is just getting into modelbuilding...or returning after a couple of decades...will not/may not be able to find the recommended paints if he/she is trying to replicate a particular project that I have described. Are there replacements? Sure, but the new or casual modeler may not have a clue where to find them. Especially since brick and mortar hobby shops are dying daily and online shops are difficult to find for the modeler who just discovered the hobby aisle at Hobby Lobby.

Is the Testor decision a disaster. In some respects, the answer will be yes. Obviously, we will adapt and survive, but there will be definite damage in ways that have already been described by others. There will also be collateral damage that we haven't even begun to suspect.

Sad to hear about Testors diminishing ranges. Same happened to good old Humbrol over here in the UK some time ago. There is a saying that familiarity breeds contempt. But in this context it is contempt for other unfamiliar brands. I agree that it is a pain in the rear having change forced upon us, but as there is no option we have to adapt. However despite the gripes it is not all bad. I have been a model maker from way back in the 60,s and relish taking on board the multitude of new finishing materials available from AK, Vallejo, Mission and so many others who have come into the market more recently. I wish a lot of this stuff was about when I started out in the hobby. Maybe we should be thankful for the plethora of materials available that could only be dreamed about 10 to 20 years ago. What is just a hobby to us is a way of making a living to manufacturers who have to make hard decisions in able to both survive, pay their employees wages and reinvest in new products. Anyone in their right mind would axe loss making ventures, and on top of this there is ever increasing manufacturing and shipping legislation with regard to anything remotely toxic to contend with.

• Like 1

I was needing clarification on exactly which paints are being discontinued by Testors this time around. Reason? I'm trying to complete my latest column in Toy Farmer. Keep in mind that the beginning of this thread stated that Testors was dropping the International, Military & Figure Enamel Paints. This thread also stated that this included ALL of the FS595 colors. I brought this up to the customer service rep and was put on hold while she checked for accurate information. Here's the latest, straight from a customer service rep at Rustoleum.

As we have all been told, the International, Military & Figure Enamel Paints ARE being discontinued. And YES, this DOES include SOME FS595 colors but NOT ALL. According to the Testors website, the U.S Military Enamels section of the group contains 22 FS colors. HOWEVER, the American FS Enamel Paints category has NOT been discontinued...at least for now...and according to the Testors website contains 50 colors, most of them being the ones that many of us use.

Keep in mind that this information can only be considered valid as of August 17, 2017 at approximately 3 p.m. CDT. and must be subject to change at any moment. Also, the contact phone number listed on the Testors website now takes you directly to the Rustoleum customer service line. At the same time, the old phone number for Testors in Rockford, Illinois...if you can find it...takes you to an options recording that will, if you choose the customer service option, will take you directly to...you guessed it...the Rustoleum customer service line.

I brought this up to the customer service rep and was put on hold while she checked for accurate information...

Well there ya go, thinkin' again...

See the announcement in the "Welcome" topic at the top of the forum from True-color Paints (and they have an ad in the latest Journal).

Seems they me just the thing to fill the void MM is going to leave! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Tru-Color Paint will start shipping replacement colors for most of the paints that were discontinued. Our first release will be on Oct. 1, 2017 with the release of 14 colors: 6 for U.S. Navy ships and 4 each for the U.S. Army (armor) and U.S. Air Force (SEA colors all FS numbers). Then, each month thereafter we will release 4-10 new military colors for the 3 main modeling types until the end of 2019.

All paint products are manufactured in Phoenix, AZ and are solvent based. All paint products are stocked in 1 oz. ($ 5.69 list) and 2 oz. ( $ 10.25) bottles. Most hobby shops will carry the 1 oz. size. We have over 200 hobby shops that carry the Tru-Color Paint product line (known for railroad paint - 400+ colors and automobile paint - 100+ colors) across the U.S. and Canada along with 8 distributors.

A complete list of all scheduled products are shown on our website: trucolorpaint.com.

Martin Cohen, PhD

Tru-Color Paint

P.O. Box 74524

Phoenix, AZ 85087-4524

714-488-9779

For those who are still dropping into Hobby Lobby for the occasional bottle of Model Master paint, you need to be aware of a change. While I can only relate my experience with one particular store, I suspect you'll find the same thing at every HL store since they are a chain. As of August 18, 2017, I found only one display rack of Testors/Model Master paint. Fully 60% of the products were the 1/4 oz square bottles. You know, the ones that started out with a price of 10 cents back in the 50s. They are now priced at $1.79 each. As for the rest of the paint, it's mostly Acryl with a scattering of Model Master enamels. Other paints? A small rack of Vallejo along with various craft paints.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be a salesman for Vallejo, but I switched to their paints from MM and Tamiya about 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

There is a tiny learning curve - for me 70/30 water to paint, a drop of flow improver, psi between 15 and 18 and I'm good to go. They also specify some of their paints that match with the RLM colors. Plus I put their new line of metallic paints up there with Alclad... Just throwing it out there. ;)

Kevin, that's fine. But I can't stand acrylics, especially water-based acrylics. I will be trying Tru-Color and anticipate gradually shifting to them as my go to paint if tests work as expected.

• Like 1

Dave, I'm aware of that. But since Tru-Color is expanding their line at a rapid pace, you have to assume that they've found a way to handle those issues. Besides, with the stash of solvent paints I currently have, switching wholesale to acrylics doesn't even begin to approach practicality.

Kevin, that's fine. But I can't stand acrylics, especially water-based acrylics. I will be trying Tru-Color and anticipate gradually shifting to them as my go to paint if tests work as expected.

Richard,

Thats cool. No biggie. Was just throwing it out there. I hope the Tru Color works out for you then.

I too will ride the enamel/lacquer bus until I kick off or they do.........just haven't had great luck airbrushing acrylics; though I do use them for brush painting details.

Part of this is being an "old dog" who isn't interested in learning new tricks, and the other part is the VAST number of solvent based paints I have already to use!

I'll be trying the Tru-Color when it comes out, but only to replace colors I don't already have in the drawer. I won't be looking to use it (or any other "new" brand) as a replacement for the paints I've already spent good money on!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil, that's essentially what I'm saying. I'll do exactly what you're doing for my own models or clients' commissions. But whenever I do an ebook, I have to think about the easy availability of existing solvent paints versus the gradual demise of Model Master. While I'll still use solvent paints in the ebooks...unless I am forced to change to acrylics for readers...I need to use solvent paints that are/will be more readiy available than MM.