Re-sizing images & decals ?

TimDarrah

I have an image that was drawning 1/48th hat I need to resize down to 1/72nd.

Anyone know the ratio or percentage, or whatever you want to call it, in order do this?

Thanks,

Tim

See Rule 2:

1. Computing scale

Scale of model or drawing = prototype dimension ÷ model or drawing dimension

Example: A prototype has a wingspan of 40 feet, or 480 inches. A model of the prototype has a wingspan of 10 inches. What is the scale of the model? Dividing 480 by 10 we get 48. The scale of the model is 1/48.

2. Converting from one scale to another

Percentage of reduction or enlargement = denominator of scale you have ÷ denominator of scale you want (Interesting Fact: a scale is a fraction. The bottom number is the denominator).

Example 1: You have a 1/72 scale drawing but want to convert it to 1/48. How much should you enlarge or reduce it? Dividing 72 by 48 we get 1.5. We must enlarge our 1/72 drawing 1.5 times, or 150%.

Example 2: You have a 1/32 drawing but want to convert it to 1/48. Dividing 32 by 48 we get 0.66666… . We must reduce our drawing to 0.6666… (2/3) of its original size, or 66.67%

Save the above, print it, post it on your workbench. Learn it. Pretty soon you will be able to do this basic math in your head.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The math is totally correct. And I do one more thing before I print a decal.

I print the image on a sheet of plain bond paper.

Then I hold the printed image near the model.

This checks my math and my printer to be sure the size is what I want.

And also, images downloaded from web sites may not be the same size as the original.

When I get the size right, I tape a piece of decal paper over the image and run it through the printer again.

This way I don't use a whole lot of extra decal paper.

Jim Pearsall

It also really helps to have software that gives you precise control over the exact placement of text and graphics in custom decals that you make. I was using photo editor programs, but the printer output from those was always a little jagged and muddy if you looked at it closely. Using a CAD program fixed all of that. I'm using Draftsight to design my custom decals. You can download that for free from the Dassault Systemes website at https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/. That also allows you to print your drawings in different scales, so you can easily scale up or scale down anything you design. If you're doing any modern USAF aircraft, don't forget to download your Amarillo USAF font for tail codes and serial numbers. I recently made custom decals for the tail of a 1/32 scale F-16 to make it a CAS viper from the 1980s...I used decals I had for a 1/48th F-16 CAS viper. Made a trial run on clear acetate.

Here is a thumbnail to the pic of the test fit with the acetate.

Ptvutf.jpg

It also really helps to have software that gives you precise control over the exact placement of text and graphics in custom decals that you make. I was using photo editor programs, but the printer output from those was always a little jagged and muddy if you looked at it closely. Using a CAD program fixed all of that.

Adobe Illustrator also gives precise control. it's a vector program like CAD software. There's also a CAD plug-in for it.

I am so jealous of those of you who are so facile with the graphic technology. In the time it would take me to learn it, I could build a 1/2 year's worth of projects or more! What his hobby needs is a service that will make INDIVIDUAL (not 1000 ) custom decals at a reasonable price. Even a service to simply copy old decals sheets would be most welcome. If someone is already doing this, I would be very happy to know about it.

Nick,

For your information, I authored an ebook that explains how to make your own decals. It includes an explanation of several different papers, coatings, printer techniques, etc. It also shows how to simply copy old decal sheets and eliminate the yellow cast from aged sheets. You can find full information and an ordering button by going to http://scalepublications.freeyellow.com

Hope this helps.

I've even used the good ol' open source, OpenOffice DRAW program to create decal artwork. Mastering the graphics part of the process is the hardest piece but it isn't that bad, just takes a bit of practice. One recent project was to create accurate decals for the old MPC Star Wars A-Wing model. I shared the graphics file on our chapter website:

http://hamptonroadsscalemodelers.com/star-wars-a-wing-decals-of-the-studio-model/

Because DRAW creates vector graphics, scaling up or down has no impact on the appearance of the artwork (though the printer's capabilities will!) Only problem with DRAW for my purposes is the output isn't portable into other graphics programs, at least not directly. The best I can do is a PDF... but since OpenOffice is available for anyone to download, I can share my work natively which gives the best result for other hobbyists.

I need to check out your sites Richard!

Cheers! Robert

• Like 1