Lost Boys David

Roktman

This kit was in my stash for so long I had to really look around the find out it was a Shawn Nagle sculpt from '96.
The face sort of looks like Keifer Sutherland - not great, but not terrible. But looking at screen grabs from the movie, I found a number of discrepancies. Firstly he's wearing boots. All the screen grabs I've seen, he is wearing boots, but they are under the pants, not on top. That has to be fixed.

Then I got a nice pic of a prop replica of his coat. The model has 4 buttons on each side of the overcoat. Umm, no.
On the prop, the right side had only the 2 bottom buttons, the third one up is missing, and top one is replaced with some sort of metal badge. The left side had the same 2 bottom buttons, then the third button was replaced with a watch that was attached to the coat backward. In place of the top button was a medal. The medal was there, tho not exactly accurate. Close enough. The errant buttons need to be cut off and the other pieces need to be sculpted on.

The-Lost-Boys-David-Jacket-Replica-1.jpg

There is a leather jacket under the topcoat. The model has it with a zipper. I couldn't find any clear pics to indicate whether it had one or not. The prop replica says no, but I couldn't find any other clear images. I'm not a sculptor and figured I already had too much to do, so I left the zipper.

Finally, David wore two different earrings at different points in the movie. The one he wore the most looked like a few folds of wire with a short length of fabric or leather in the bottom fold (the other was an earring with a tiny knife on the end).
The model, had what looked like a short length of jewelry with a feather on the end. I thought, could that be a knife? No, it was a feather. So it was cut off too.

Long story short, the earring got scratch built (tho a little hard to see in this pic) -

014.JPG

For the base I scratch built the carton of worms/noodles and the clapboard sign. Then at a moment of "rivet counting" fervor I inserted some 0.01 solder wire into the coat to show where the missing button used to be...
If you would like to see the WIP pics they are at http://kevtk.blogspot.com Thanks for looking (and all the reading).

021.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

Edited by Roktman
  • Like 1

Nice job again Kev. I really like how you got some sort of texture or feel out of the black paint on the coat. It looks like a cloth topcoat.

Maybe Keifer looks that way from being up "24"?

Cool subject!

Bill

• Like 1

Nice job again Kev. I really like how you got some sort of texture or feel out of the black paint on the coat. It looks like a cloth topcoat.

Maybe Keifer looks that way from being up "24"?

Cool subject!

Bill

Thanks Bil.

For Vallejo paints I'm supposed to spray at less than 20psi, but it you dial down the pressure to say - 5, the paint will start spitting in regular sized dots. So all I did was dial down and use the same color paint as the base color to create a faux texture.

I saw this technique in one of David Fisher's Modelmania DVD's ;)

• 2 months later...