Small pony herd in progress...

ghodges

While I'm still in relatively "high gear", I decided to tackle 3 1/48 P-51 Mustangs at the same time....I haven't done this in 35yrs.....and the last time I wasn't really happy in the end; so we'll see.......but then I'm still in the mood to get a bunch done, so I decided to wade right on in!

004_22.jpg

The "D" on the left is the Tamiya kit. The one on the center is ICM's poor copy of the Tamiya "B"; and the one on the right is the Pro-Modeler updated version of the old Monogram "B". The Tamiya kit is good, if not spectacular, but fits together without problems. The ICM kit has very soft plastic, more flash than it should, and generally average (or below average) fit. The Pro-Modeler kit is good, but not as good as I'd hoped since it was an "upgrade". Having built several of the original Monogram 1/48 P-51B's, it's more complicated and doesn't fit as well as its sire.

I'm building them OOTB. I haven't decided which markings I'll use yet, as I have 6-7 decal sheets to choose from. More pics when they're assembled and primed.

GIL :smiley16:

Got the primer on them...

001_29.jpg

004%202_2.jpg

I've had to do a bit more work on the ICM and Pro-modeler kits than I wanted...but that's modeling! Still a ways to go in smoothing things out before painting can start.

MM gloss black is on in prep for using Alclad and AK Metallic paints...

004%203.jpg

003%202_3.jpg

005%202_1.jpg

A bit more very fine sanding/polishing to do and then off to the paint shop!

Alclad and AK Metallic paints have been applied, along with the first of the trim colors....

002%202_1.jpg

The varying NMF colors and the yellow were all applied today, with no masking problems despite masking the paints within an hour of their application.

And they're painted...

004%204.jpg

The prop for the ICM B peeled badly and will need repainting; but that's the only problem so far. Decalling is up next!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away....

002%203_1.jpg

The Tamiya D is decalled. I can begin final assembly on it tomorrow.

I used the Tamiya "D" invasion stripe decals on the ICM "B". They worked a little better than expected, though painting them wouldn't have been any tougher. The biggest problem was that I'd already attached the bomb racks and had to cut substantial sections of the decal out to fit around them, which will require careful touch up. After that, I can start applying the rest of the decals.

I tried to use the yellow/black checked nose decals on the PM "B", but they didn't want to fit or align well, so I'm resorting to painting them.

Thanks for the kind words, but there's a lot of nits and nicks all over these builds, as well as the need to touch up where I screwed up! But, I'm just building them for my shelf, so I'm not worrying about bringing them up to "contest" quality. I just want to reduce the stash by 3 and have these 3 schemes in my collection.